Chili Cheese Dogs are such a great way to feed a crowd! They’re easy to throw together, baked in the oven and totally delicious!
This Chili Cheese Dogs recipe is the world’s best chili dog recipe, so tasty and the best way to feed a crowd. You can bake several of them at a time, and they come out warm, crisp, gooey and perfect! Plus, it’s so versatile, you can make it a variety of different ways depending on if your guests like turkey dogs or beef hot dogs and what type of chili the like. Make it for game day, and serve it with this buffalo pull apart bread, this cowboy caviar, and this pina colada sangria!
How do you like your chili cheese dogs? All beef? Veggie style? Spicy cheese? I would love to hear your suggestions; please leave me a comment below and we can share ideas together!
WHAT TYPE OF HOT DOGS TO USE FOR CHILI CHEESE DOGS
One of the things that makes these Chili Cheese Dogs a total winner is you really can customize it based on the guests you are serving. I’ve made it with vegan hot dogs and vegetarian chili, turkey dogs and turkey chili, beef hot dogs and no bean chili. And without any onions per my wedding vows, because obviously. From fat free all beef to vegetarian or soy, you can use any and all kinds or brands of hot dogs for this recipe.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS FOR HOT DOGS IN THE OVEN
These Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs are like the comfort food of a teenage boy. They are gooey and delicious, and messy and totally perfect. (Sidebar: My kid is 9 going on 14! He came downstairs wearing a hat backwards and he looked like a teenager. I can’t deal.) Try some of these ideas:
- Add mayo, mustard and relish to the bun before adding the hot dogs, then load them up with chili, cheese and onions.
- Use canned chili for a quicker and easier recipe.
- Or try my delicious homemade Vegetarian Chili or my Healthy Turkey Chili recipes. Cook one of them for dinner one night and then use leftovers for these baked hot dogs the next!
- Top with all kinds of cheese! I love a sharp cheddar but you could use pepper jack, Colby jack, Swiss or even crumbled Blue Cheese.
- Add bacon (either wrapped around the hot dog or crumbled on top) for extra meat flavor.
- I use regular white hot dog buns, but you could us
- e whole wheat, bagel buns, sesame, whatever you or your guests like.
- Once baked, you can top with diced tomatoes, avocado, green onions, green peppers or just leave them as is.
MORE GAME DAY OR PARTY RECIPES
Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just having a little group over to watch the game, try some of these delicious recipes and let’s get the party started!
- Bacon Ranch Turkey Sliders
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- French Bread Pizza
- Grilled Chicken Legs
- Root Beer Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
I can’t wait for you to try these yummy baked hot dogs! They’re so cheesy, crispy and delicious. Let me know what you think by commenting below. Enjoy!
Chili Cheese Dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 1 15 oz can of chili
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the mayonnaise, mustard, and pickle relish in the bottom of the buns. Add the hot dogs and place all eight hot dogs in their loaded buns in the pan. (You will be able to fit six side to side the long way and then add the last two end to end the short way.)
- Top with the chili, then cheese, then onions. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the buns begin to crisp.
- Serve immediately.
did you make this
Chili Cheese Dogs
Malinda @Countryside Cravings says
These make me feel like a kid again and I would love to devour one of these!! I too have some (ok a lot) of those pictures I can’t stand looking at when I look back!!
Lisa Longley says
Aren’t they the worst, Malinda!? It’s like they haunt me!