Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is chock full of savory sausage, vibrant spinach and rich tomatoes. A favorite cozy weeknight supper perfect for chilly weather!
This creamy sausage tortellini soup is one of my favorite meals to make when the air turns chilly and we all need a healthy dose of cozy. It only takes about 15 minutes to prep and then you let the slow cooker do all the work!
The savory Italian sausage, tender spinach and tortellini shine in a creamy broth seasoned with garlic, herbs and spices. This delicious and easy meal is packed with so much flavor, you are going to love it!
How to Make Crockpot Tortellini Soup
- Brown the sausage. It only needs to cook long enough to be broken up and browned.
- Add ingredients to the crockpot. Transfer the drained sausage, carrots, garlic, seasonings, crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3 and a half hours.
- Add the tortellini. After the three and a half hours are over, turn the slow cooker to high and add the tortellini. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach. After 15 minutes of the tortellini cooking, add the spinach. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half. Serve and enjoy.
Suggestions for Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
- Find the right Italian Sausage for your family. We like the flavor of sweet Italian sausage but you could easily use a spicy hot or extra mild variety.
- Add or take away any veggies you like! This recipe is so versatile that you can toss in whatever you have on hand. Stir in some kale at the end instead of spinach, or add celery and onions too. Don’t love carrots? Leave ’em out. Make this soup your own and your family will love you.
- Use any kind of tortellini you like. My kids love the cheese stuffed tortellini but you could use tortellini stuffed with meat or spinach.
- Go really fancy and put in stuffed ravioli instead! There are all types of ravioli out there and any of them would be delicious in this soup.
- You can use fresh or frozen spinach in this soup.
- If the base doesn’t seem creamy enough, add a bit more half and half. Too thick? Drop in a little more chicken broth until it’s the consistency you like.
What to Serve with Creamy Tortellini Soup
This tortellini soup recipe is so hearty and filling it really stands on its own, but I love to serve it with a chunk of crusty bread for dipping. We also have several bread recipes that would be great with this recipe.
Breads and Rolls to Serve with Soup
Salads to Serve with Soup
This nourishing, hearty soup is truly one of my favorites, and I am so excited to share it with you. I love hearing back from you so please drop me a comment if you make this recipe and let me know what you think. Sending you warm and cozy wishes this winter season!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound frozen tortellini
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup half and half
- In a skillet over medium heat, break up and brown the sausage. Cook just until it is broken up and browned, no need to cook it through. Drain the grease from the pan.
- Combine the browned sausage, carrots, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock in a crock pot. Cook on low for 3 and a half hours.
- After three and half hours, turn your crock pot to high and add the tortellini and cook on high for a half hour. After 15 minutes, on high add the spinach.
- Just before serving when the tortellini is done and the spinach is wilted, stir in the half and half.