These Turkey Sloppy Joes are an easy dinner recipe that your family will fall in love with. The lighter spin on traditional sloppy joes will make you feel great.
The other day a reader emailed me and told me that her boyfriend doesn’t really like red meat, and as a red meat eater she was struggling with what to make for them.
Ahhhh, I totally get this. Nathan and I grew up in really different houses, and when we came together we weren’t even a little bit on the same page. He’s a much more flexible person than I am, so he now eats similarly to me, and I leave out onions for him.
These Turkey Sloppy Joes are a great middle of the road recipe. They take everything you love about traditional sloppy joes, but we make them with ground turkey. It will keep red meat eaters and non red meat eaters both happy.
How to Make Turkey Sloppy Joes
This great recipe comes together right on the stove top with pretty minimal steps and ingredients.
We start by heating up a little olive oil. Then we add in our ground turkey and break it up. You don’t need to cook it all the way through before moving on to the next step.
Add in the onions and green peppers and allow them to cook until tender, about five minutes.
Then add in the rest of the ingredients. Bring everything to a simmer, and cook covered for 30 minutes. Make sure to stir here and there and don’t have the heat too high.
Since we are working with lean turkey meat, it is key that we keep the skillet covered during cooking and we keep the heat pretty low. If we don’t do this we will end up with less than sloppy sloppy joes.
Making in the Slow Cooker
Sloppy Joes are really easy to make in the slow cooker. If you want to do that, follow the instructions in my Crock Pot Sloppy Joes using the ground turkey instead of the ground beef.
If you happen to be cooking for two, no worries! The left overs on these are great. Keep them in an airtight container for up to three days. Reheat over very low heat, covered, stirring intermittently.
You can also freeze these left overs. Make sure to freeze them in a container that will allow for a little expansion and keep in the freezer for up to three months.
If one of the reasons you picked Turkey Sloppy Joes was because you want your family to eat lighter, let me give you some better for you sides to go with.
- My Parmesan Roasted Broccoli is always a hit in my house.
- These Easy Roasted Root Vegetables are filling and hearty, but good for you.
- Crockpot Sweet Potatoes would go perfectly with this recipe.
- Finally, this Zucchini Salad is one of my favorites. It’s easy to make, and so delicious.
But if you have decided that you did your part with better for you Sloppy Joes and don’t ned to worry about healthy sides, make my Cheesy Potatoes or Baked Potato Wedges.
If you make these turkey sloppy joes or any of my other recipes leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey I used 93% lean
- 1 green bell pepepr diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Heat the olive oil.
- Add the ground meat and cook, breaking it up until it begins to brown, about 4 minutes. No need to cook it all the way through.
- Add in the green pepper and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, ground mustard, salt, and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat. You should still be able to see intermitent bubbles. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Barbara Lima says
I was going to make a meatloaf tonight. But, as I read your recipe, it sounded so good that I made the Turkey Sloppy Joes instead. I am so glad I did! It was so good and so satisfying.
Lisa Longley says
I’m so happy you liked it Barbara! Thank you for taking the time to come back and let me know!
Esther H. says
So far, so good. It smells heavenly. YUM
Lisa Longley says
I hope everyone enjoyed them!