These Cheesy Potatoes are a simple and easy side dish that everyone will love. When you need the ultimate comfort food, make this cheesy potato recipe.
I have an amazing classic for you today. This recipe comes courtesy of my awesome neighbor, Tiffanie. She’s the neighbor you call in a pinch or when you need to sit and kick back with an amazing cocktail. You might know her from such recipes as the Three Ingredient Pink Party Punch and the Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe. Right? See you are already fans of hers.
Now we have this incredible Cheesy Potato Recipe. They are the ultimate comfort food, which is probably why they are known as funeral potatoes to so many. These aren’t just a great recipe to feed a crowd, they are food for the soul.
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes
This recipe is a classic because it couldn’t be more simple. This is just a brief overview of the recipe, please find the full recipe at the bottom of the post with all the measurements and the baking time.
- Make the sauce. Mix together sour cream (or yogurt), condensed cream of chicken soup (see my note about making it from scratch), and shredded cheese.
- Add it to the potatoes. Pour the sauce over frozen hash brown potatoes in a prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then add the topping. After the initial bake time top it with corn flakes and melted butter.
- Bake for 30 more minutes. Now serve it hot and enjoy!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
As mentioned above, this recipe can be made completely from scratch by using my homemade condensed cream of chicken soup. It is a delicious and easy recipe that brings great flavor to this recipe.
This homemade condensed soup can be made the day before. As written, this recipe is so fast and easy, but making this homemade piece the day before keeps it just as simple. When you double my homemade version it makes the exact amount you need for this recipe.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Shredded Cheese for Cheesy Potatoes
If you have been following me for a bit, you know that one of my greatest cooking tips is to shred your own cheese. It will add an extra five minutes to your prep time, but it is absolutely worth it. Pre-shredded cheese is covered in preservatives that keep it from melting well.
Because these are cheesy potatoes, using block cheese that you shred in your kitchen is key. It ensures that this amazing side dish is the ultimate in cheesiness.
To make this easy casserole ahead of time, make the sauce (step 2 of this recipe), and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to bake the recipe, proceed with the recipe from step three.
Cheesy Potato Recipe Serving Size
This cheesy potato casserole makes 8 cups.
- If this is part of a family dinner with one main dish, I would recommend 1 cup per person, or 8 servings.
- If this is part of a potluck, or an event with many dishes and sides, I would consider less than 1/2 cup per person, or 16 servings.
Leftovers should be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to four days. As with all recipes, use your best discretion when it comes to leftovers. Please keep in mind that the corn flakes won’t be as good on leftovers.
When you are ready to eat your leftovers, take out just the amount that you want to eat. Place the leftovers in an oven proof container, and cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
Plain yogurt works as a great replacement. Replace it one for one in this recipe, so you will need 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt.
Yes! But I do not recommend using no fat sour cream.
No. There is flour in the cream of chicken soup. You could make that with almond flour, but it won’t be quite as creamy.
The key is to make the sauce ahead, and then put the casserole together when you are ready to bake it. Please see more detailed instructions above.
What goes with Cheesy Potatoes
This recipe makes a great side dish with some of our easy main dishes. They would be perfect next to the following recipes.
- Prime Rib: This recipe makes the ultimate holiday meal. It is easy to make, and would be fantastic with these on the side.
- Pork Loin Roast: You will not find a more moist pork recipe. With only about 10 minutes hands on time, you couldn’t ask for an easier, more affordable meal for entertaining.
- Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks: If these potatoes are going to be a side dish for a week night dinner, make them with this great chicken recipe! Both are so easy and so delicious. Their flavors will work so well together.
Other Great Comfort Food Recipes
If you are also having a bad day and you just need more and more comfort food in your life, let me suggest these:
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup: Does it get any more comforting than chicken noodle soup?
- Broccoli Rice Casserole: Another baked side dish that can totally double as comfort food.
- Homemade Stuffing: I’m sorry, but I don’t care what time of year it is, stuffing will always be my ultimate comfort food.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad: This will remind you of family get togethers and childhood.
If you make this cheesy potato recipe or any of the other recipes I have listed, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Cheesy Potato Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 20 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup (two cans, or double my homemade recipe)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounces frozen diced hash brown potatoes (still frozen)
Topping (added halfway through baking)
- 2 cups corn flakes cereal
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and shredded cheddar cheese. Set aside.1 1/2 cups sour cream, 20 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pour the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the sour cream mixture.32 ounces frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, uncovered. Pull the casserole out of the oven and top with corn flakes. Pour the melted butter over the top. Bake for another 30 minutes uncovered.2 cups corn flakes cereal, 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Serve warm and enjoy.