This delicious White Pizza starts with my perfect pizza dough and amazing white pizza sauce. Its delicious toppings will make it your new favorite pizza recipe!
I have a group of friends that I’ve referenced a lot here. They are friends I went to high school with, and we text each other almost daily. Lots and lots of silly nonsense.
But also love and support. Just the other day, I went on a rant about a particular child of mine, and they were right there telling me they get it.
Scattered across the country, it’s rare we see each other. But when we do, it’s often in our hometown, and it’s often at a favorite high school restaurant. And we order this White Pizza.
You haven’t even tried it yet, but already you can tell it’s a pizza that speaks about friendship and support, right?
THE PERFECT WHITE PIZZA RECIPE
There are two things that make this pizza recipe really special. Or rather two more things besides memories of great friends.
- The pizza dough. Start this recipe a few hours before dinner with my BEST pizza dough. This great recipe has just shy of 50 five star reviews.
- The white pizza sauce. True enough you could replace this sauce with jarred Alfredo Sauce. But don’t. It is made easily from scratch and makes this pizza perfect.
HOW TO MAKE WHITE PIZZA SAUCE
The sauce for this pizza is basically an Alfredo Sauce with a little garlic thrown in for good measure and a little flour to keep it stable in a hot oven.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and saute garlic just for it to become soft.
- Whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Very slowly stir in milk and then heavy cream.
- Remove from heat and fold in the shredded parmesan cheese until it is melted.
- Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
If you aren’t a garlic lover, skip it. Nathan and I were divided on this sauce. I loved it with the garlic and he wanted to leave it out.
I can’t stress enough how much freshly grated parmesan helps this recipe. It effects the texture and taste so much.
You can really top your white pizza recipe with anything. You could even just top it with cheese and enjoy it. But this combination of toppings is so special.
- Italian Sausage (get it from your meat counter since you only need a little)
- Green Olives
If you are averse to any of those toppings (i.e. you don’t like olives), just skip it. It won’t be the same pizza recipe, but it will still be delicious.
HOW TO COOK IT
With this pizza recipe I like to cook the dough a little before adding the rest of the toppings.
I highly recommend investing in a pizza stone. We put ours in the oven when we turn it on and preheat it, and then we add the dough to the hot stone. It cooks it up perfectly.
While the dough is cooking, prepare the white sauce and cook the sausage and mushrooms together.
Add the sauce to the hot pre cooked dough, then add the rest of your toppings and continue baking.
Looking for what you can serve with this recipe? I have a few salads that I think would go great with this.
All of these recipes are very easy to throw together while your pizza is baking, and are the perfect light side dishes to go with this pizza.
If you make any of my recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
FOR WHITE PIZZA SAUCE (or 1/2 cup jarred Alfredo sauce)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove minced (optional depending on how much you love garlic)
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated will work best
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage
- 3 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shedded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of artichoke hearts diced
- 1/2 cup of sliced green olives
- With your oven at 375 degrees, pre bake your pizza crust, poked with holes, for 10 minutes.
COOKING THE SAUSAGE AND MUSHROOMS
- While your crust is pre-baking, sauté your sausage until browned on the outside. Then add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through the mushrooms are soft.
MAKING THE WHITE SAUCE
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small skillet.
- Add in the garlic and saute until just soft. Then whisk in the flour.
- Turn the heat to low and very slowly (starting with just a tablespoon or two at a time), whisk in the whole milk and then the heavy cream.
- Stir in 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
CONSTRUCTING THE PIZZA
- Remove the crust from the oven, top with white sauce and then one cup mozzarella.
- Add the mushroom and sausage mixture from the pan with a slotted spoon, and then add it to the pizza.
- Add the artichoke hearts, the green olives, then the remain 1/2 cup of mozzarella and the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges of your pizza are golden and the cheese is well melted.