This one pot Pizza Casserole is the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight. Made with deep flavors but simple ingredients, this easy pasta recipe is sure to be a hit with even your picky eaters.
Last year I asked a group of friends what makes a recipe easy. One of the things they told me was how much they love one pot recipes. I get it completely. A recipe that comes together in one pan makes for a simpler recipe and minimal clean up.
This One Pot Pizza Casserole is it! It has all the flavors you love of pizza in a cheesy skillet with pasta. It is easy to make, and absolutely delicious. Besides, it is easy to customize with things your family loves.
How to Make a Pizza Casserole
The key to making this recipe work is having a large enough skillet and using enough liquid to cook your pasta. With those two things down you have an easy stovetop recipe!
This is just a brief overview of the recipe, please make sure to read the full ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Brown the meat and sauté the vegetables: Combine the Italian sausage with the green pepper and garlic in the skillet until the vegetables are soft. There is no need to fully cook the meat here, it will continue cooking as we go.
- Add in seasonings and liquids: Pour in the tomatoes, stock and spices. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits from cooking the meat.
- Add the pasta. Now bring it all to a boil. Then reduce it to a simmer. You want to see bubbles the size of grapes here and there.
- Finish it off: We end this dish by stirring in some cheese, topping it with more, and adding some pepperoni and olives before popping it in the oven for a few minutes.
Why this Recipe Works
As mentioned above, the balance of liquid to pasta is what makes this recipe work. If you use more pasta or less liquid, it won’t all be able to cook in the skillet together.
Type of Pasta to Use
I am calling for rotini in this recipe, those spiral shaped noodles. You could definitely use something else here. I suggest picking the noodles that your kids like best. I would not suggest using spaghetti, as it would be difficult for this cooking method.
Substitutions and Variations
While you need to keep the amount of pasta and liquids the same, there are a few changes you can make without affecting things.
- Green Pepper: You could leave out the green pepper or swap it for a red bell pepper. You could also add an onion in here.
- The Meat: If you can’t find Italian sausage, you could substitute with ground beef or ground turkey and it would be fine. If you are using ground beef, you may need to drain off a little grease at the end of step 2.
- Pepperoni and Olives: The topping with these at the end is totally optional. I think it adds something nice, but it is not necessary. If your family loves pepperoni, you could also chop some and stir it in before topping with cheese in step 5.
Other Great 30 Minute Meals
If you make this pizza casserole recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.
One Pot Pizza Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 29 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces rotini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- pepperoni for topping
- sliced olives for topping
- shredded parmesan for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage, breaking it up as you cook. When it is completely broken up but before it has begun to brown, add the green pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the peppers have begun to soften, about 5 to 7 mintues.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, red pepper flakes, basil, and oregano, stirring to combine.
- Stir in rotini. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes (or until the rotini just has a small bite to it), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Top with the rest of the cheese, the pepperoni, and the olives. Put it in the preheated oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.