This Zucchini cake, smothered with chocolate frosting, is the perfect dessert! So delicious and feeds a crowd!
ZUCCHINI CAKE PLEASES A CROWD
There is something about gathering a group of friends or family together around a cake. We always feel like it’s a celebration, even if there’s no special occasion to celebrate. And why not? I love the idea of making even the most ordinary moments feel like extraordinary ones.
Enjoying a slice of this Zucchini Cake is one way to do that.
Or maybe you really are celebrating something special.
I made this for my family when we celebrated my dear dad’s 80th (yes 80th!) birthday. And yes, we did put 80 candles on it. Good thing there’s plenty of surface area on this cake.
IS ZUCCHINI CAKE HEALTHY?
Well… let’s be honest. Even though it features a vegetable as one of its main ingredients — the benefits of which are listed below — Zucchini cake isn’t necessarily healthy. It’s still a cake. You know, oil, flour, sugar, the works. Plus, this recipe tops it all off with some amazing chocolate frosting. So, take it for what it is — a delicious dessert — and enjoy it!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ZUCCHINI
Even though this recipe is most definitely a dessert, it can’t hurt to recognize the health benefits of the title ingredient.
Zucchini is known for being rich in a variety of nutrients. Vitamins A and C, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin B6 and more. It’s also high in antioxidants and can contribute to healthy digestion.
We’re not claiming this is some sort of super food, but zucchini may also help lower blood sugar levels because of the fiber found in this food. Beyond that it helps with heart health, can strengthen vision. The list goes on and on, just like with most vegetables.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING ZUCCHINI CAKE
I have gotten questions about other zucchini recipes if I squeeze the moisture out of my zucchini, like in this Caramel Zucchini Poke Cake. And the answer is no. If there is no instruction to squeeze out the zucchini, don’t do it. The recipe was designed to tolerate the moisture from it. You’ll be good.
The chocolate frosting on here is a really simple recipe that I found in conjunction with this Texas Sheet Cake Recipe. It was perfect on this cake, but this cake is flexible and it would also be really delicious with The Best Cream Cheese Frosting or some lemon frosting.
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO LOVE
Now that we’ve got you thinking about all the great benefits of zucchini, you will definitely want to try some of these recipes. If you do, please leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
ZUCCHINI CAKE RECIPE
- For the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsps cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound zucchini grated finely (about three medium zucchini)
- For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup of butter melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a jelly roll pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together in a large bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- Whisk the eggs and sugars together in a large bowl until the sugars are just about dissolved. Now add the oil about a half a cup at a time and whisk in until it’s combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture. Stir in the zucchini. Pour into the pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat together the butter, milk, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Gently spread over the sheet cake.