This Cajun Seasoning Recipe is a delicious and easy spice mixture that is perfect for so many different recipes. There are so many cajun seasoning uses, but my favorite is this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta! Make a small batch for one recipe or make a big batch to keep with your spices!
Yesterday, it was the end of the day, the end of the summer, the end of my sanity . . . and I knew, in the way that mom’s know everything, that my children were about to murder each other. So I suddenly yelled out, “Everyone go outside! . . . Except you, Piper.” My older kids looked at me with a mixture of surprise and distain and said, “Why doesn’t she have to go outside too??” and I said, “Because I don’t want her to irritate you guys and you all try to kill each other.” They looked at me with the respect I deserve and said, “Oh. Right. Thanks!!”
Piper decides immediately that she will also be going outside too . . . she walks up to me so I can buckle her bike helmet and says in her tiny adorable four year old voice, “You know mom, I’m going to go outside too because I can tell you need some alone time.”
It was equal parts hilarious and so annoying.
You guys, I’m SUPER ready to really get back into recipe development for you. It’s been a long summer and I’m super ready to jump back in. I have a great recipe coming, but it needs Cajun Seasoning, and I decided that what Wine & Glue needs is it’s own cajun seasoning recipe!
WHAT IS CAJUN SEASONING
Cajun seasoning is a spice mix that you can buy in the spice aisle at your local grocery store and is typically a mixture of a few easy to find spices . . . which is why we are making our own, baby. It starts with paprika and is a little spicy, a little smoky, and a lot delicious. It adds so much great flavor to so many dishes. I have a bunch of great recipes on the blog that use Cajun Seasoning!
CAJUN SEASONING USES
- This Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is THE BEST! It’s like a recipe that you would get at a restaurant, but you can have it at home!
- I love this Jambalaya Soup! It is so delicious, and comforting.
- This Cajun Cobb Salad is such a fun twist on the classic cobb salad, you’ll love it!
- This Jambalaya Foil Packet is a super popular recipe that uses cajun seasoning, and you will love!
- This Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta is the seafood cousin to the recipe below and just as delicious!
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN SEASONING
- Kosher Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
HOW LONG WILL MY CAJUN SEASONING LAST?
That depends on how fresh your spices are that you are starting with. Since dried herbs go bad first, it is most important that your thyme and oregano are the youngest. Assuming that your herbs are recently dried, your Cajun Seasoning will last for a year in an air tight container kept in a dry cool place, like a mason jar in your cupboard.
IS CAJUN SEASONING SPICY?
Cajun seasoning does have a little bit of a kick to it. I like this recipe just as it is, and my family does as well. If you are very sensitive to spice you can cut the Cayenne Pepper in half and leave out the red pepper flakes.
If you love your dishes spicy, you can add more Cayenne Pepper. One of the things I love most about homemade seasoning mixes is that they can be adjusted.
Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- dash of cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients, whisking well.
- Store in an airtight container.
Other great spice mixes: