This Cajun Seasoning Recipe is a delicious and easy spice mixture that is perfect for dozens of recipes! Make a little bit for one recipe or a big batch to keep with your spices.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning is easy to make and adds zesty flavor to so many recipes! Sure, you can find a similar seasoning at the store, but you can make your own for much cheaper. Plus you can make as much or as little as you like. Simply toss in a little or a lot and you have the perfect seasoning to add to chicken, pasta, fish or tons of other recipes!
What is Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a spice mix that you can buy in the spice aisle at your local grocery store and is typically a mixture of a few easy to find spices . . . which is why we are making our own, baby. It starts with paprika and is a little spicy, a little smoky, and a lot delicious.
Cajun Seasoning Uses
- This Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is THE BEST! It’s like a recipe that you would get at a restaurant, but you can have it at home!
- I love this Blackened Shrimp! It is easy to make and works well as an appetizer or fast dinner.
- This Cajun Cobb Salad is such a fun twist on the classic cobb salad, you’ll love it!
- Our Cajun Chicken Alfredo is the creamy pasta dish you are dreaming of. It is so good.
- This Jambalaya Foil Packet is a super popular recipe that uses cajun seasoning, and you will love!
- This Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta is the seafood cousin to the recipe below and just as delicious!
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
Here’s all you need to create the perfect Cajun spices:
- Kosher Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
How Long Will My Cajun Seasoning Last?
That depends on how fresh your spices are that you are starting with. Since dried herbs go bad first, it is most important that your thyme and oregano are the youngest. Assuming that your herbs are recently dried, your Cajun Seasoning will last for a year in an air tight container kept in a dry cool place, like a mason jar in your cupboard.
Is Cajun Seasoning Spicy?
This seasoning does have a little bit of a kick to it. I like this recipe just as it is, and my family does as well. If you are very sensitive to spice you can cut the cayenne pepper in half and leave out the red pepper flakes.
If you love your dishes spicy, you can add more cayenne pepper. One of the things I love most about homemade seasoning mixes is that they can be adjusted.
Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- dash of cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients, whisking well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- If this seasoning mix is made with fresh spices, it can be stored in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 year.
- Please see the post for a list of recipes in which this great seasoning mix can be used.