This Italian Seasoning Recipe makes a big batch that allows you to have it on hand anytime you want to make a great recipe. Skip buying the Italian seasoning packet all together and just make a batch of this!
The more recipes I create the more I realize that there are some staples that are helpful to have on hand.
I love making my own seasoning mixes because I can make a big batch and then pull out a few tablespoons at a time as needed.
I do that all the time with my Taco Seasoning. Now I’m giving you another great pantry staple: Italian Seasoning.
No shame or judgement if you buy your seasoning mixes, but I love the control I have when it comes to sodium and flavor when I make my own.
What is Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning is sort of a cheaters way of seasoning Italian recipes. It is made up with a blend of spices and herbs that are often found in Italian cooking.
Since there are many recipes out there that call for “Italian Seasoning” it is nice to have a simple recipe for it that you can throw together with the spices you already have on hand.
It is an easy and healthy way to add a lot of flavor to dishes.
What’s In Italian Seasoning?
This seasoning blend sticks to some of the traditional spices you will find in Italian cooking. These easy to find spices come together for the perfect blend.
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- dried parsley
- garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- dried marjoram
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
If you aren’t familiar with marjoram, it is a plant found in Southern Europe in the oregano family. It is a lot like oregano but with a more mild taste.
How Long Will Italian Seasoning Last?
Because it is made with dried herbs, if you use herbs that have been recently dried, it should last a year. Make sure to keep it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Benefits to Making Your Own Seasoning Mixes
There are so many reasons I like making my own seasoning mixes, here are just a few:
- It’s cheaper! Especially if you buy your dried herbs in bulk, or even better yet, dry them out from your own herb garden.
- You can control the salt content. So many people need a low sodium diet, and this allows you to stay on top of the salt.
- You know exactly what is in it. This seasoning mix is vegan, gluten free, and keto friendly.
Italian Seasoning Uses
- Healthy Vegetable Dip Recipe
- Italian Pesto Sliders
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
Let’s Get Creative!
You could also use this in my Spaghetti Sauce. You would need to take out the dried herbs and replace it with 1 teaspoon of this Italian Seasoning Mix.
Additionally, you could add 1 tablespoon to ground meat to take a dish to the next level.
Combine a 2 teaspoons with some olive oil and smother a chicken breast in it before throwing it on the grill.
Finally, add 1 teaspoons to a cup of plain bread crumbs to make Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs for my Italian Meatballs!
Other Homemade Pantry Staples
If you make any of my seasoning mixes, come back and let me know! I love hearing from you!
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.