This California Roll Orzo Pasta Salad is crazy easy to throw together and makes a perfect dish to bring to a BBQ or potluck!
SUMMER IS THE TIME FOR ORZO PASTA SALAD
When the weather warms up, my appetite for hot foods like soup and casseroles definitely goes down. Summer is the perfect time for salads like this California Roll Orzo Pasta Salad. You can also check out some of my other amazing salads and sides here.
This Orzo Pasta Salad Recipe combines so many of my favorite things about summer: crisp veggies, tasty seafood and a dish that is best served cold.
Not only that it incorporates all the amazing deliciousness of California Rolls.
WHAT IS A CALIFORNIA ROLL?
For those of you who aren’t on the sushi bandwagon, let me give you some basic background on the California Roll.
Sometimes known as the California maki, this is a sushi roll that generally contains cucumber, crab and avocado. There are variations on that recipe, but that’s the basic ingredient list.
This particular sushi roll is made “inside out”, meaning the roll has rice on the outside and seaweed — along with the other ingredients — are on the inside.
Some people argue that this is more “American sushi” than true Japanese food. Do you love California Rolls? I feel like they are kind of the generic version of sushi (I mean, you can go MUCH wilder), but they are still sooooo good. I love getting them, along with all the other wild stuff.
Either way, the ingredients of the California Roll work well together and are generally a good way to introduce someone’s tastebuds to sushi.
CALIFORNIA ROLL IN AN ORZO PASTA SALAD
Now that we have that settled, let’s talk about this California Roll Orzo Pasta Salad. So this pasta salad is meant to mimic those flavors. I chose orzo because it is so close in size to rice. And then there is the rice vinegar and the sesame oil in the dressing that make it spot on.
And it’s ridiculously easy to throw together. It would be perfect for a summer picnic!
MORE SUMMER SIDE DISHES TO SHARE
If you love this Orzo Pasta Salad, you should definitely check out our Crab Pasta Salad as well as some of these other great summer side dishes.
- Arugula Salad Recipe comes together so quickly and makes the perfectly and goes great with so many dinners. With just a few ingredients you can have the most delicious and easy side salad.
- Summer Salad Recipe is full of all the best fresh ingredients and topped with this amazing Lemon Poppyseed Dressing. It’s fast. It’s flavorful. And it’s always a hit at potlucks.
- Shrimp Fajita Pasta Salad comes together perfectly for all your summer barbecues. Splendidly seasoned, it is simply amazing.
- Spinach Bacon Salad takes the traditional spinach salad to a whole new level. With homemade croutons and hard boiled eggs, this is filling and tasty all in one.
Get ready for your backyard barbecue and any other parties with these Summer Potluck Recipes.
Try these out and let us know what you think.
What are your favorite foods to eat in the summer time? We love hearing comments from readers!
California Roll Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 cup of dry orzo cooked to package directions and rinsed with cold water
- 3 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup fake crab pulled apart
- 1 cup cucumbers cut into small long bite sized pieces
- 1 cup avocado cut into small long bite sized pieces
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds
- Combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in small bowl and then pour it over the orzo. Then add in the crab, cucumbers, and avocado. Finally, stir in some sesame seeds. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 24 hours and serve.