This Cherry Cheesecake is an easy to make no bake dessert that will be a hit with everyone. The easy to find ingredients, plus our shortcuts, make this an ideal dessert!
If there is one thing my husband cannot resist, it is Cherry Cheesecake. It was the dessert at our wedding, and it is his number one weakness. If you love someone who loves cheesecake but are intimidated about baking them one, this simple to make dessert is perfect.
How to Make Cherry Cheesecake
This is a brief overview of how easy this no bake cherry cheesecake is to make. For the full recipe with all of the instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the crust. We are combining melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, and sugar for this perfect crust. It needs no baking, just a little time in the refrigerator to set up.
- Make the filling. Our simple no bake cheesecake filling consists of powdered sugar, cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. It is the perfect base for so many amazing cheesecake recipes.
- Let the cheesecake set. This cheesecake takes eight hours to set up in the refrigerator overnight, so plan ahead.
- Make the cherry topping. Finally, combine cherry juice, corn starch, cinnamon, almond extract, and some sugar over heat and then stir in some frozen cherries for a great cherry topping.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure that your cream cheese is at room temperature. In order for this cheesecake to be the right consistency, you want to use room temperature cream cheese. Leave it out of it’s wrapper on a plate for an hour.
- Use the whisk attachment of a stand mixer for a smooth and creamy filling. This attachment will fully incorporate the bricks of cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the cherry topping the day before. Since the cheesecake needs to refrigerate overnight and the cherry topping needs to cool to be used, I suggest making the cherry topping at the same time as the cheesecake so it is fully cooled when you are ready to top.
- Do a quick freeze for easy cutting. To make the cheesecake extra easy to cut, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Best Spring Form Pan
A great spring form pan is essential if your family loves cheesecake as much as mine. This cheesecake is no bake, and very easy to contain. But baked cheesecakes, like my Lemon Cheesecake, especially benefit from a quality spring form pan that closes tightly. This one works so well and never leaks on me.
Cherry Topping for Cheesecake
The cherry part of this great no bake cheesecake recipe comes from the delicious cherry pie filling topping. While you could buy a can of pie filling, my mom’s homemade Cherry Pie Filling recipe is so easy to make. Whip it up while the cheesecake is setting. You will fall in love.
This is a cherry cheesecake, but of course that is very easy to change. Just swap out the topping for something else! Here are a few ideas.
We love that this cherry cheesecake recipe is from scratch, however, if you wanted to make it a little faster there are two easy shortcuts.
- Substitute Cool Whip. Instead of making your own whipped cream, take out the heavy cream in this recipe and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar. Replace it with Cool Whip.
- Use Store Bought Cherry Pie Filling. I love my mom’s cherry pie filling, but if you want to save yourself a step, use a store-bought can.
Making Cherry Cheesecake Bars
This recipe is two in one! You can turn this into cherry cheesecake bars by making these in a 9 by 13 inch pan instead of a spring form pan. Keep all of the measurements and the instructions the same, simply making it in a pan instead of a round springform pan.
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 11 sheets of crackers)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 24 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups cherry juice (apple juice will work in it's place)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cherries
To Make Crust
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Stir together until it has the consistency of wet sand.1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pour into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan, pressing it down firmly. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the filing.
To Make the Filling
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice together until smooth.24 ounces cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until it has a thick consistency, similar to shaving cream. Fold it into the cream cheese mixture.1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Pour the filling over the crust, cover, and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
To Make Cherry Topping
- In a large sauce pan over low to medium heat, combine the cherry juice, sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon. Stir consistently, allowing the mixture to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.2 cups cherry juice, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add in the almond extract and food coloring (if using). Then stir in the frozen cherries. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes,1/2 teaspoon almond extract, 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, 4 cups fresh or frozen cherries
- Let the cherry topping cool completely before adding to the top of the cheesecake.