My Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is the perfect way to celebrate. It is easy to make and over the top with my chocolate frosting!
I have a few kiddos who don’t like cake, can you believe it? But I have the perfect solution for them. This Cookie Cake is such a great way to celebrate. It is easy to make and absolutely delicious. No matter where I take this cake, it is always a huge hit.
I made it exactly as written for my daughter’s birthday. It was delicious! My family ate it all in one sitting!
How to Make a Cookie Cake
Here is a brief overview of how this chocolate chip cookie cake comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and egg yolk, and then the vanilla.
- Combine the wet and try ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips.
- Bake the cookie cake. Add the dough to a greased springform pan and bake until the edges of the cake are golden brown.
- Add the frosting. Once the cookie cake has cooled completely, pipe the frosting onto it. See below for how to make Chocolate Frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Recipe
This Homemade Chocolate Frosting is so creamy and delicious. It is perfect on top of the cookie cake! You can mix it up while the cake is baking but I recommend waiting until the cookie cake is completely cool before adding the frosting so it doesn’t melt.
To get the nice piping like in the photos, you will need to use a piping set. I share the one I have below that is perfect for cookies, cakes, and cupcakes!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Tips and Tricks
- Measure your flour correctly. If you measure too much or too little flour, your cookie cake with not turn out. To measure your flour correctly, start by whisking the flour in the container or bag it is stored in. Then use a spoon to scoop the flour from the container into a dry measuring cup. Use the flat edge of a spatula to level it off. If you have a kitchen scale, a sure fire way to get the right amount is to weigh it. We have the weight in grams in the recipe card.
- Use room-temperature butter. For both the cake and frosting, this is a crucial step and can make or break your recipes. The butter should be soft enough to dent with your finger, but not soft enough to push it all the way through. It will even feel cold to the touch. In order to achieve room temperature butter skip the microwave, and cut the butter into one inch pieces and leave on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Make sure your baking powder and baking soda are fresh. Both baking powder and baking soda should be replaced every six months or so. To test their freshness, mix a little baking soda with vinegar and some baking powder with water. Both should bubble up right away.
Serving and Storing
Once your cake has cooled and been frosted, cut it into slices and serve. Sprinkles, a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup can all be added for an extra sweet touch.
Store any leftover cookie cake, covered, on the counter for up to three days. If it has been frosted, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
Since this cookie cake needs to cool before you can frost it, it is a great recipe to make the day before your party or celebration. You can make both the cake and the frosting the day before. The cookie cake can be covered and kept on the counter, but the frosting should be stored in the refrigerator. Frost the cake just prior to serving.
This is a matter of personal opinion. I prefer milk chocolate in my desserts, but both will work great here.
This recipe has only been tested as written. If you would like to make this recipe gluten free, I suggest you begin testing with a gluten free flour that is mean to replace all purpose flour one for one.
Yes! If you want to make this a thinner larger cake, you can bake it on a 12 inch pizza pan. You will need to reduce the baking time to between 15 and 20 minutes.
Other Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you make this chocolate chip cookie cake recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature (84.75 grams)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (159.75 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (49.5 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yollk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (170 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature (113 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (42 grams)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (454 grams)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (118.20 ml)
- pinch of salt
Make the Cookie Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and egg yolk, one at a time. Then beat in the vanilla until just combined.3/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 1 egg yollk, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Slowly add in the flour a little at a time while mixing until it is just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.1 cup chocolate chips
- Pour the dough into the springform pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the cake are golden brown and the middle has just a slight wiggle to it.
- Make the frosting and pipe onto the cake once it is cool.
Make the Chocolate Frosting
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or a large bowl with a handheld mixer.1/2 cup butter
- Add in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract.1/2 cup cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Then add in the heavy cream. Add in a pinch of salt.4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup heavy cream, pinch of salt
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use.