This Lemon Curd Recipe is sweet and tart and so easy to make. Spread this vibrant lemon curd on just about anything!
WHAT IS LEMON CURD?
I once posted a super easy Lemon Bar Dip on Facebook and I got tons of comments on the post asking, “Wait. What’s Lemon Curd?” After picking my jaw off the floor, I summoned an answer: it’s liquid sunshine! But really, this lemon curd recipe is a sugary, lemony, buttery spread that is tasty on toast, muffins or in dozens of recipes.
INGREDIENTS IN LEMON CURD RECIPE
This simple spread is made from ingredients you already have in your kitchen:
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
Have you ever made lemon curd? Let me know what you think in the comments below! Fellow lemon curd lovers unite!
TIPS FOR PERFECT LEMON CURD
- Get the most juice from your lemons. If you’re not sure you’ll have enough juice from your lemons, you can toss them in the microwave for about ten seconds, or roll it on the counter with your hands for a few seconds.
- Find a good zester. You can find a decent zester at most stores like Target or Walmart and it will change your life! Using lemon zest will give your lemon curd recipe a deeper lemony flavor that lemon juice alone just can’t do alone.
- Whisk the curd mixture every minute or so during the microwave process.
- You’ll know when it’s done when the curd can coat the back of a spoon well, which should take about three to four minutes.
- Next, strain the mixture after microwaving to get rid of the lemon zest. It’ll give it extra amazing lemony flavor during cooking, but you don’t want to stay in the curd. You want the sweet and tart curd to be smooth as can be.
- Store the lemon curd in the refrigerator which will keep it nice and fresh for a couple of weeks.
Lemon Curd will thicken once it’s cooled and refrigerated, to a consistency like jam or marmalade. To reheat, you can pop it in the microwave again for a few seconds until it’s the consistency you like. You can also stir it in a small saucepan on the stove. Just make sure to stir it constantly so it doesn’t burn or scorch on the bottom.
HOW MUCH DOES IT MAKE?
This recipe makes just about 2 cups.
USES FOR LEMON CURD RECIPE
If you’re looking for lemon curd uses, start by spreading it on some simple toast. Then once your mind is blown, try it in a bunch of different lemony delicious recipes like these:
You could even swap it out for the Grapefruit Spread in these Grapefruit Muffins and make yourself some Lemon Muffins. Or you can spread some on some pound cake, muffins, hot biscuits, scones, just about anything!
Whether you use it as a spread, in a delicious lemony dessert recipe, or eat it by the spoonful, you will love this tart treat! I can’t wait to hear what you think about it. Please drop me a comment below and enjoy your dose of liquid sunshine!
Lemon Curd Recipe
- 3 TBSPs lemon zest from about three large lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice from two to three large lemons
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 TBSP butter
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- Heat the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds so it is slightly melted, but not completely.
- Whisk in the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and then the eggs and egg yolks.
- Heat in the microwave for one minute intervals, whisking well in between until it can coat the back of a spoon well. It should take three to four minutes.
- Pour through a metal sieve and then refrigerate until full cool. It will thicken as it cools.