These Rum Balls are a family recipe and Christmas tradition you will fall in love with. Easy to make and easier to eat, you will love this no bake recipe.
This is a great snagged recipe from my dad. This is his Rum Ball recipe, one of my favorite Christmas traditions. My dad, in classic Italian form, tends to use his recipe as a guide and just adds a little more of this and that as necessary.
I altered his recipe a little so that there is no this and that needed. I think you will love these little bites of heaven.
How to Make Rum Balls
This is a simple recipe that I can make – including rolling time – in under 20 minutes. Make sure to head to the bottom of the post for the full list of steps and measurements.
- Crush the cookies. You could certainly use a rolling pin and a plastic bag, but I find that a food processor makes quick work of making cookie crumbs.
- Chop the pecans. Again, you can use a knife to chop up the pecans, but given that we want them to be small, I suggest keeping that food processor out. Make sure not to run it too long or you will have pecan butter.
- Mix all the ingredients. Combine everything with a metal spoon or stiff wooden spoon.
- Scoop them into balls. My dad always just used a spoon. I like using a tablespoon so that they are all the same size.
- Roll them in more sugar. Finally, you roll the little guys in some powdered sugar and let them dry.
Making Bourbon Balls
You could definitely switch this recipe up and use bourbon or a different liqueur for a different flavor with this recipe. The important thing to consider when you change up the alcohol is to keep the amount the same. That way they will still come together.
My dad never did this, but making chocolate rum balls by dipping them in some chocolate would be a delicious and festive addition.
Simply skip the rolling in powdered sugar. Then freeze them for 20 minutes. Dip them in some melted chocolate (almond bark works best). Then allow them to set completely on wax paper.
These Rum Balls should be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks. They will be fine, once rolled in powdered sugar, to be stacked on top of each other.
If you would like to make this ahead of time, they are easy to freeze. Start by flash freezing them and then store them in the freeze for up to three months.
- Once you’ve rolled them in powdered sugar, place them on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove and transfer to an airtight container. Return to the freezer storing for up to three months.
Other No Bake Treats
If you are looking to make easy cookie boxes for friends and neighbors, here are some other ideas:
If you make this rum ball recipe, leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.
- 11 ounces vanilla waffer cookies crushed
- 1 cup chopped pecans (approximately 1 1/4 cup prior to chopping)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (plus approximately 3/4 cup more for rolling)
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup rum (I prefer using dark spiced rum)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together with a kitchen spoon or a stiff wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Use a tablespoon to make balls. Roll them in extra powdered sugar before transfering to a wax paper lined tray. Let dry for 30 minutes before storing in an airtight container for up to two weeks.