This Stuffed Pepper Casserole is an easy weeknight dinner! It is my kids’ newest favorite recipe and I bet it’s going to be a winner for yours too!
My kids are obsessed with stuffed peppers. It is one of those things in parenting where I try to not make a big thing about it because I don’t want to jinx it. Or draw attention to how weird it is.
I think it might be my biggest parenting win. (I set the bar low.)
So they absolutely love this Stuffed Pepper Casserole. It checks so many boxes for them. And it’s super easy to make, which is basically my only box.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE
This is a great one pot recipe!
Start by browning some meat (I used ground turkey) and seasoning it.
Then you sauté vegetables and add in rice and sauce.
Let it all simmer and finally stir in some shredded cheese.
MAKE THIS RECIPE EASIER
There are a few really simple things we can do that will cut down on the time involved in this recipe.
- Buy pre cut bell peppers. You can usually find these in your grocery store in the refrigerated section of the fresh produce. It will cost more, but it will cut down on time.
- Skip measuring the oregano and basil and just use 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning. You can always buy store-bought!
WHAT RICE TO USE
Some of my recipes, like my Southwestern Chicken and Rice Casserole, use instant rice.
It is important to note that this stove top casserole recipe does not use instant rice. Please use uncooked basmati rice. It cooks right in the sauce we make, making this a great one pot meal.
HOW TO STORE LEFT OVERS
Left overs of this stuffed pepper casserole can be kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This would not be a casserole I would choose to freeze. For that I would go with my Baked Ziti before baking it.
If you do want to freeze this after making it, store it in an airtight container for up to three months.
OTHER GREAT EASY DINNERS
If you are on the hunt for other great dinners don’t miss my:
- Sausage and Veggie Sheet Pan Dinner: Its very little hands on time and delicious flavors.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup: Only 5 minutes of hands on time for this easy dinner that is 300 calories a bowl!
- These Baked Turkey Meatballs are always a huge hit in my house!
If you make this Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe or any of my easy dinners, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound ground turkey (if using ground beef, no need to spray first)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium bell peppers diced (I used yellow, orange, and red)
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces chicken stock
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked white basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Over medium heat, spray a large dutch oven with cooking spray so that the bottom is coated. Add ground turkey and break up, cooking until it begins to brown. (About 4 minutes.)
- Add in the basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute, stirring often, until the peppers are tender. About 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and uncooked rice. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Once bubbling well, turn the heat down to medium low. The bubbles should be about the size of peas.
- Stirring often, let your casserole simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Simmer uncovered, and make sure to scrape the bottom of the dish as you stir so no rice sticks there.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese and enjoy!