Italian Green Beans are the perfect easy side dish. Made in just 30 minutes, they are a delicious compliment to any dinner recipe.
Switch things up from the traditional green bean casserole or regular roasted green beans, the flavor of this Italian green beans recipe is truly showstopping. Simple to make and arguably the best way to eat green beans, your family will be asking for this again and again.
How to Make Italian Green Beans
Here is a brief overview of how to make this homemade Italian green bean dish. For all of the measurements and cooking time, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Prepare the green beans. Toss them with olive oil and breadcrumbs. You can do this right on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Add seasonings. Season the beans with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Roast. Roast in the oven until the beans are tender, tossing halfway through.
- Finish off the dish. Toss the roasted green beans with Parmesan cheese and freshly minced parsley.
Picking out Green Beans
The key is using beans that are fresh and delicious. Here are some things to look for when choosing fresh green beans:
- Firm to the touch
- Bright green in color
- Don’t bend when you hold them straight out
- Blemish free
Using Fresh vs Frozen Green Beans
I make this recipe using fresh green beans. If fresh beans aren’t available, you can use frozen beans but you will have to adjust baking time. To prepare the beans, first remove any pieces of ice from the green beans. Then pat them dry lightly with a paper towel. Then proceed with the recipe as written.
What to Serve with Italian Green Beans
Green beans are a great side for almost any meat or entree. I love them with the following main dishes:
Other Simple Side Dishes
Simple side dishes that are yummy and provide some nutrients are staples for weeknight dinners. Here are some vegetable side dishes to try.
Did you make this recipe or any of my others? Leave a comment to tell me how it was, I love hearing how your family enjoyed it!
Italian Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans rinsed and hard stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded (optional)
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the green beans with the olive oil and breadcrumbs on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until the beans are tender. Half way through roasting toss the green beans and and rotating your pan to account for any hot spots in your oven.
- Toss the beans with Parmesan cheese and freshly-minced parsley.
- Taste the beans and add more salt and pepper as desired.
This was so good I had to use regular oil as I am can’t have olive oil it was still very good
Lisa Longley says
I’m so glad you liked it!