Vodka Lemonade is my go-to summer cocktail! It is light and refreshing, and with my homemade lemonade recipe, you will love it even more!
I’m completely obsessed with our homemade lemonade recipe. It is so easy to make and it really does make the best lemonade. Adding a little bit of vodka to it seems like a great next step, no?
You will see in the variations listed at the bottom of the post my vacation for adding some fresh basil to this recipe and I just couldn’t recommend that enough!
Vodka Lemonade Ingredients
The key to this delicious cocktail is using good quality ingredients. While the name states the main ingredients: vodka and lemonade, you will be using fresh lemon juice to create homemade lemonade which will make your vodka cocktail refreshing and not loaded with extra additives.
- Vodka: See below for my vodka recommendations.
- Lemons: Using freshly squeezed lemon juice to make homemade lemonade is what truly sets this recipe apart. See below for how to get the most juice from your lemons.
- Sugar: This recipe calls for a full cup of sugar. I would not suggest that you cut back on the sugar. Lemons are incredibly acidic and tart, so we want to balance the acid with a little sugar so it isn’t overwhelming.
How to Make a Vodka Lemonade
This recipe makes a pitcher or can be made as individual cocktails in glasses. Here is a brief overview of how it comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, please scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Heat the water and sugar. Bring them to a simmer in a saucepan while stirring often until the sugar is dissolved. We are making a simple syrup. Transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate.
- Add the lemon juice. Add the lemon juice and three cups of cold water to the pitcher and stir.
- Build the cocktail. You can either add the vodka to the pitcher of lemonade and serve, or add it to individual glasses of lemonade if you want to lemonade to be for both kids and adults.
Since a good part of this spiked lemonade cocktail is the vodka, I recommend using a good quality vodka that you enjoy the flavor of. Fortunately, you can find good vodka at every price point. The best quality vodkas for the price are Grey Goose and Belvedere. For a budget-friendly vodka, I recommend using Tito’s.
Make a batch of homemade lemonade for this vodka and lemonade recipe or enjoy it solo with ice. This homemade lemonade recipe with lemon juice comes together quickly and with simple ingredients, it will become a summer staple for you and your family!
You can add the vodka to the lemonade right away for a pitcher of vodka lemonade, or keep it separate, adding it to individual glasses which allows the lemonade to be enjoyed by kids and non-drinkers as well.
Getting Juice From Lemons
Freshly squeezed lemon juice is key to this lemonade and vodka recipe. To get the most juice from your lemons, either put them in microwave one at a time for 30 seconds or roll them between your palm and the counter for a few seconds. A tool like this allows me to get the most juice out of them. Then I strain the juice to make sure no seeds get in before moving on to the next step.
How to Serve
- Make a pitcher: Add the cup of vodka right to the pitcher of lemonade and stir for a ready-to-pour cocktail. Serve in glasses with ice and garnish with a lemon slice.
- Make individual cocktails: Add two ounces of vodka to each six ounces of poured lemonade with ice.
Variations on Vodka Lemonade
- Add some fresh or frozen strawberries to make strawberry lemonade. Then add vodka for a strawberry lemonade vodka!
- Make a Basil Vodka Lemonade. This is my favorite variation! Add some fresh basil to the simple syrup and let it sit for 30 minutes while still warm. Then strain the basil out and combine it with the fresh lemon juice.
- Make it spicy! Add some sliced fresh jalapeños to your cocktail for a spicy kick.
- Add a splash of club soda for a bubbly finish.
Other Refreshing Cocktails
- Fruity and made with ingredients you probably have on hand, the Alabama Slammer is a classic.
- The ultimate refreshing cocktail, this Margarita recipe is truly perfect.
- This White Wine Spritzer is light and crisp, perfect for when the warm weather hits.
If you try this vodka lemonade recipe or any of my other recipes, please let me know what you think by leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice 6 to 8 medium lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar (198 grams)
- 4 cups cold water (236.59 ml) divided
- 1 cup vodka
- Combine sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring consistently until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a pitcher and put in the refrigerator. Once cooled, add the lemon juice and 3 cups of water. Stir until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of vodka to the pitcher and serve or add 2 ounces of vodka to each 6 ounces of poured lemonade.