Learn all you need to know for how to make simple syrup for cocktails! An essential for any bar, simply syrup is easy to make. You can even make flavored simple syrup.
You all know how much I like making you cocktails, and so many of them contain simple syrup.
With so many great cocktail recipes out there that require simple syrup – you might be tempted to buy it. But don’t! It is so easy to make, and much less expensive to make at home than go out and buy.
Make a big batch and store it in your refrigerator so you always have some on hand.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
Making simple syrup requires boiling equal parts sugar and water. Though there are some versions that do a 2 to 1 ratio of sugar to water, we stick with the 1 to 1 ratio for our cocktails. It gives just the right amount of sweetness.
Start with one cup of sugar.
Add in one cup of water.
Mix together over low heat.
Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, and the liquid has slightly thickened.
Remove the simple syrup from the heat, allow to cool, and use in all your cocktails.
HOW DO YOU MAKE FLAVORED SIMPLE SYRUP?
Flavored simple syrup is a great way to add something special to a cocktail. What about a rosemary twist on your gin and tonic? Or a basil twist to your vodka lemonade? It is simple and easy to do.
- Make this recipe as you normally would.
- When you are done and removing the syrup from the heat.
- Add whatever flavor you want (basil leaves, a sprig of rosemary, lemon peel, a cinnamon stick).
- Remove the basil, the lemon peel, or the cinnamon stick before storing the simple syrup (optional).
HOW DO YOU STORE SIMPLE SYRUP?
This recipe has a good shelf life.
- Simple syrup that is a 1:1 ratio (as is described here) has a one month shelf life if stored in a clean airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Syrup that is a 2:1 ratio has a six week shelf life if stored in a clean airtight container in the refrigerator.
OUR FAVORITE COCKTAILS TO USE THIS RECIPE
If you give this a try, let me know how it goes and even more importantly, what recipe you used it in!
How to Make Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine the water and the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the syrup has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Use in all your cocktails and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.