The flavor of this BBQ Beef recipe is absolutely perfect. My mom’s recipe for Crockpot BBQ Beef will become a family favorite for you too.
Growing up, my mom was great at hosting big family gatherings. She would hold big celebrations for graduations in our backyard and host my many many cousins. She always made this BBQ Beef recipe and I have been dreaming about it since I was a kid.
I thought I lost this recipe when I lost her, but recently when I was digging through recipes, I found a recipe for BBQ Beef in her handwriting.
I got really excited.
As the sauce bubbled on my stovetop, I knew I had found it. Just the smell alone transported me back to my mom’s kitchen. This perfect sauce, combines with the shredded beef to make the most amazing BBQ Beef Sandwiches.
I just can’t even begin to tell you how much your guests are going to rave about these amazing sandwiches.
BBQ Beef Ingredients
- Beef Chuck Roast
- A1 Sauce
- Beef Stock
- Worchestershire Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make BBQ Beef
My mom originally made this recipe on the stovetop over the course of about 7 hours. That didn’t seem super practical, so I turned this into a crockpot bbq beef recipe.
Beef crock pot recipes are so handy to have for gatherings.
- Put your Chuck Roast in the slow cooker and cover completely with water.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- When the beef has a half hour left, combine the ingredients for the sauce on the stovetop and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred.
- Drain the water from the slow cooker, add the simmered sauce, and the meat. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 2 hours with the lid of the crockpot slightly a jar. For best results, stir 2 to 3 times during this 2 hour period.
Make The Day Before
This is a great recipe to make the day before you are serving it to guests.
- Follow the instructions completely and at the end of the cooking time, allow it to cool a little before putting the crockpot in your refrigerator.
- When you are ready to serve it set your slow cooker to warm and stir regularly. Depending on the slow cooker it will heat up within 1 to 2 hours.
How Many Does This Serve
This recipe will easily serve 8 adults. A Chuck Roast that is about 2 1/2 pounds will make approximately four cups. Each bbq beef sandwich needs about 1/2 a cup of meat.
That being said, you can use up to a 5 pound piece of meat with this recipe. Follow the directions as written, there is more than enough sauce to account for that much meat.
Make This on the Stovetop
As I mentioned, this recipe was originally made on the stove top. That is still a great way to make it, it just needs to be watched more closely.
- In a large dutch oven, cover the meat with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 5 hours.
- Drain the liquid from the pot and shred the meat while it is still warm.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the meat to the sauce and cook on low for 2 hours. If the sauce is too watery, remove the lid from the pot.
You could aptly call this old school recipe a Beef Butter BBQ. Doesn’t that just make drool?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Only reheat leftovers once. My suggestion is only to reheat what you plan on eating, not the entire batch.
This is a great recipe to freeze. Put the left overs in an airtight container with room for it to expand in the freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat over low heat on the stove top, stirring often.
Additionally, I suggest freezing the leftovers in individual serving sizes. This way you can just thaw and reheat what you want, leaving the rest for a third or fourth meal.
What To Serve This With
If you are making this as part of a larger party spread, I have a couple of suggestions for serving.
- My Baked Potato Wedges would go great with this.
- My mom’s Crab Pasta Salad can serve an army and is delicious.
- Finally, my mom also made this Spinach Bacon Salad for family gatherings and it is just so amazing.
If you make this slow cooker bbq beef, or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
- Slow Cooker: I love this slow cooker so much, I bought two!
- BBQ Gloves: Okay, I don’t have a pair of these, but I want them! The meat is so hot when you go to shred it, these would be perfect.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast See my notes about using a bigger piece of meat.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup A-1 sauce
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and cover water. Cook on low for five hours. Remove the meat and while still warm, shred it.
- At four and a half hours into the slow cooking, add the butter, sugar, ketchup, A-1 sauce, onion, beef stock, Worchestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and lemon juice to a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Add the shred
- Add the shredded beef back to the slow cooker and cover it with the sauce. Place the top on, slightly a jar. Cook on low for 2 hours, stirring 2 to 3 times during cooking. Serve on sandwich buns.