This easy Beef and Broccoli recipe is made on the stovetop and is done in under 25 minutes. Your family will love this simple and easy recipe.
I don’t know if I can think about broccoli at all – for the rest of time – without remembering the time I convinced my daughter (age 2 at the time) to think of her broccoli as zebras running for their lives from a lion.
She was the lion.
She literally started growling at her broccoli and devoured every last piece.
Now she eats broccoli without morphing into a predator. And she absolutely loved this Beef and Broccoli. She devoured it. Like a lion.
This easy skillet dinner is going to become a huge win in your house too. My favorite part about it is that it is done in just under 25 minutes! It will make you feel like no matter how busy your life is, you can create a warm home cooked meal for the family.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF AND BROCCOLI
This fast dinner comes together in a skillet right on the stove top.
First, cook the beef. Heat the oil in the skillet and then add the thinly cut flat iron steak. Just stir it occasionally and cook it until it is no longer pink, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Then make the sauce. I like to whisk together the sauce for this recipe while the beef is cooking. It cuts a little of the prep time on this recipe.
Now, cook the broccoli. Remove the beef from the skillet. Add in the chopped broccoli. You may need to add a little more oil to the skillet if the broccoli starts to brown too quickly.
Finally, bring it all together. After the broccoli is tender, about four minutes, add the beef back in and then add in the sauce. You are going to cook just until the sauce thickens up, about two to three minutes.
Done! Serve over rice and enjoy.
WHAT BEEF TO USE
In this recipe we are using Flat Iron Steak because of how tender and well marbled it is.
By using this cut of meat, we are able to skip marinading it, cutting down on the time necessary for this recipe.
This cut of meat is best when it is cooked to medium, so be careful not to over cook it.
A NOTE ABOUT SOY SAUCE
Salt is that great ingredient that can pull an entire recipe together. But over do it and you have something you can’t even eat.
The same thing goes for soy sauce, the base of the beef and broccoli sauce. Because of that, you want to use a low sodium soy sauce.
If that is not something you have on hand, no need to worry. Just swap out 1/2 cup of low sodium sauce for 1/3 cup regular soy sauce + 2 2/3 tablespoons water. Or, fill up a 1 cup class measuring cup with soy sauce to the 1/3 mark and then fill it up to 1/2 cup mark with water.
Does that make sense? Probably could not have made that more complicated if I tried.
OTHER GREAT SKILLET DINNERS
I’m on a skillet dinner kick lately, and if you want to join the party, try some of these great recipes:
If you like this easy beef and broccoli recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know!
Easy Beef and Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound flat iron steak sliced thin
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets approximately 4 cups
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce see note 1
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 – 2 teaspoons chili paste see note 2
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Remove it from the pan.
- While the beef is cooking, whisk together the soy sauce, corn starch, brown sguar, ginger, garlic, chili paste, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the broccoli and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add more oil as needed so the broccoli does not burn.
- Return the meat to the pan, and stir in the sauce. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about three minutes. Serve with rice.
- If you don’t have low sodium soy sauce on hand, use 1/3 cup soy sauce and the rest water to make 1/2 cup total liquid.
- If you like your dishes spicy, make sure to add two teaspoons of chili paste. Just 1 teaspoon will give it just a small, nice little kick.
- Please note that the nutritional information does not include the rice.