Chex Mix is the perfect snack recipe for a party, movie night, or snacks throughout the week. Our family can’t get enough of this delicious recipe!
Our family is very fond of snacking. Like if there was a snacking Olympics, we would gold medal in every event and be just the happiest people ever.
I originally made this Chex Mix recipe for an outdoor movie night in the summertime, and it was a huge hit. With us snuggling up to watch Christmas movies in our jammies, it is time to break out this easy go to recipe again.
How to Make Chex Mix
It’s so easy to throw together this yummy snack for any occasion! Be sure to check out the recipe card below for exact measurements but here’s all you need to do:
- Line a baking sheet: Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine the Chex cereal, crackers, pretzels, rye chips and nuts together in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients: Melt the butter and add Worcestershire sauce and seasonings in another bowl.
- Combine ingredients together: Pour the butter mixture over all the yummy crunchy ingredients and mix well.
- Bake low and slow: Bake at 250 degrees for an hour, but make sure to toss or stir the Chex mix every 15 minutes or so.
- Serve warm or store: You can serve the Chex mix immediately for a warm treat, or store it tightly covered for up to a week.
Chex Mix Ingredients
This is a deliciously savory Chex Mix recipe, and you can play around with the ingredients and seasonings depending on what you have on hand. But for this recipe try these:
- Chex cereal (any kind will do, or you can do a combination of a bunch of kinds!)
- Rye chips
- Mini pretzels
- Oyster crackers
- Melted unsalted butter
- Worcestershire sauce
- Seasoning Salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Chex Mix Seasoning
The sauce for this Chex Mix is out of this world! The Worcestershire sauce gives it a rich, deep flavor, with just enough of a kick. It’s salty but not too salty, with the perfect blend of onion and garlic flavors. Delish!
Mix it Up
If you don’t have these exact ingredients, but still have the munchies, don’t worry! Scavenge through your pantry for ideas to add to your savory homemade Chex Mix. Try some of these ideas:
- Cheese crackers
- Bagel chips
- Small bread sticks
- Bite Size crackers like Ritz, Goldfish or Wheat Thins
Whatever ingredients you take out just replace with the same amount of one of the options above!
How to Make Chex Mix in the Slow Cooker
Homemade Chex Mix can even be made in the Crock Pot! This is a terrific idea if you are using your oven for other dishes or want to leave it unattended for a little while.
- Combine all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
How to Store Chex Mix
Chex Mix is absolutely scrumptious when served warm, but you can also store it at room temperature in a tightly covered container. It’ll stay nice and fresh for up to a week.
Absolutely! Just add in extra crackers or other ingredients.
Yes! Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the spice mixture.
Of course! Try this delicious Ranch Chex Mix as an alternative.
- 9 cups Chex cereal You can use several varieties, a few cups of each
- 2 cups rye chips
- 1 cup small pretzels
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- 1 cup peanuts
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – cereal, rye chips, crackers, and nuts.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula adding any remnants to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, tossing the ingredients on the tray every 15 mintues. Remove when the ingredients are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve right away, or wait to cool and then store in an airtight container for up to a week.