Call it Puppy Chow or call it Muddy Buddies, this is the addictive treat that everyone loves! Perfect for parties and great for gifting.
It makes my heart happy.
Many years ago, when I was in the middle of my pregnancy with Quinn – my pregnancy right after losing my son – I went to see some friends. Friends who live a few hours away and who I don’t see nearly enough.
One of those friends, such a sweet soul, randomly decided to make us Muddy Buddies. She filled these giant containers with them and just casually gave them to us.
She must have picked up on some sort of disturbance in the force with me. It was one of the hardest years of my life, and she must have known I needed some extra love . . . and I needed Puppy Chow. Guys, I ate the entire container on the hour drive home, and I still have zero regrets.
I love recipes that are comfort food and love all rolled into one, and this puppy chow recipe is just that. And with these easy instructions you can be the one gifting comfort and joy.
PUPPY CHOW INGREDIENTS
- Chex cereal
- chocolate chips
- creamy peanut butter
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE PUPPY CHOW
I think one of the reasons this is such a popular recipe is because it is so simple and easy to make.
- Pour your cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a glass measuring cup, microwave the butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips together.
- Stir vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture and continue stirring until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and mix really well. It might be easiest to use clean hands.
- Put the whole mixture into a plastic bag. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and toss to coat.
- Add the reaming 1/2 cup powdered sugar and toss again.
Adding the powdered sugar in stages allows it to coat really evenly.
STORING MUDDY BUDDIES
Puppy Chow should be stored in an airtight container. That is the most important thing. Otherwise you risk it going stale.
No need to refrigerate muddy buddies. It can be stored in your pantry.
This recipe tastes best when eaten in the first week, but will last for up to a two weeks.
You can freeze muddy buddies, but I would proceed with caution because it is DELICIOUS frozen. Maybe even better. I may or may not have been caught red handed eating puppy chow straight from the freezer by my children.
This is a great base recipe. One of my favorite variations is Funfetti Cake Batter Muddy Buddies, with a great cake flavor.
This recipe would also be really great with Nutella in place of the peanut butter.
But really, the possibilities are endless. Here are some of the more random variations I’ve made:
OTHER PARTY SNACKS
Muddy Buddies make a great party snack, but if you want to make a full spread with savory and sweet, here are some other great ideas:
- This Ranch Chex Mix is an easy snack everyone will love.
- My Caramel Apple Dip is great all year long.
- I can’t get enough of popcorn recipes and I love this Italian Popcorn.
If you make one of my recipes, give me a shout out on Instagram! You can find me @lisawineandglue
Muddy Buddy Recipe
- 9 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- Add the cereal to a large bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, melt the chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, and butter together on high for 1 minutes. Stir together. Stir in the vanilla extract and stir the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal. Stir to combine. Use clean hands if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into a clean plastic bag. Pour 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar over the mixture and shake to combine. If necessary add the remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into the bag and toss to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.