Crab Salad is an easy recipe that works great as a side dish or a filler to make a crab salad sandwich. You will love this delicious and easy side dish recipe!
Whenever I am getting remade salads from the deli, my eyes are always drawn to the Seafood Salad and the Crab Salad. They are absolutely delicious, but they are so easy to make at home. I love the simplicity of this recipe and it’s generous creamy dressing.
Thank you for this recipe.
My friends and family love it
Everytime I make it I get requests for the recipe
My 22 year old son even asked for the recipe after he polished off a big bowl!!! ♥️
How to Make Crab Salad
- Combine main ingredients. In a medium bowl combine combine the crab meat, red onion, and celery.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, dill, salt, and pepper. Taste the dressing and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the dressing and main ingredients.
Using Imitation Crab
Whenever I share my Crab Pasta Salad on Facebook, I get dragged big time for using imitation crab. It is my mom’s recipe, and she always used imitation crab, so that is how I make it. My mom probably picked using imitation crab for it’s affordability.
While I like to make this as an imitation crab salad, you absolutely can use real crab in this recipe. It would be fantastic here. If you use canned crab, make sure to go through it carefully to remove any shells that remain.
What is Old Bay Seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning is a mix of different spices. It is most widely used on the East Coast of the United States while eating shellfish. That being said, it is widely available throughout grocery stores in the United States. If you are unable to find it, you can make your own Old Bay Seasoning.
How to Eat Crab Salad
This crab meat salad can be eaten just with a fork as a side dish, but it would also be great a few other ways:
- Serve it in lettuce cups for a great low carb option.
- Make a crab salad sandwich. It makes for a filling lunch that you will really love.
- Use it as a topping on salad greens. Throw in some other vegetables and make it a really healthy lunch option.
This recipe is best when eaten within twenty-four hours of being made. Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and given a stir before serving.
I do not recommend freezing this salad.
What to Serve with Crab Salad
If you are putting out a full spread for a get together and this salad is part of it, here are some other great recipes that you will love.
If you make this Crab Salad recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 16 ounces imitation crab meat see note about using real crab meat
- 1/2 small red onion diced small
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning learn more about Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teasoon dry dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat, red onion, and celery.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, fresh dill, and salt. Taste and add pepper to taste.
- Stir the dressing into the main ingredients and serve. This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days in an air tight container.