This Seafood Salad recipe only takes about 10 minutes to throw together and is so much better than what you buy at the grocery store.
Seafood Salad is one of my weaknesses. You will note, that as a food blogger and generally weird person, I have odd weaknesses. Croutons, Spicy V8, and pickles are also on the list.
While it is so simple to buy Seafood Salad from the grocery store deli, I would urge you to make your own instead. It is so incredibly easy and a recipe that you will fall in love with.
Seafood Salad Ingredients
This salad comes together with just a few simple ingredients.
- Imitation Crab Meat
- Salad Shrimp
- Red Onion
- Lemon Juice
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Seafood Salad
This seafood salad recipe is very simple to make.
- Mix together the main ingredients: Imitation crab meat, shrimp, onion and celery.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, lemon juice, old bay seasoning, dill, salt and pepper.
- Mix the dressing into the main ingredient.
What Shrimp to Buy
When making this salad we always just buy frozen salad shrimp. You can buy it pre cooked and all you have to do is thaw it. It is already perfectly cooked
Imitation vs. Real Crab Meat
I have dealt with a lot of criticism over using imitation crab meat in my Crab Pasta Salad. Guys, I’m fine with it. I love the stuff.
That being said, I also love real crab meat. It’s delicious! The reason for using imitation crab meat in this and my other recipes is twofold.
- Imitation crab meat is cheaper than real crab meat. Using imitation means more people can make my recipes.
- It hold up better in salads like this.
All of that being said, if you would like to use lump crab meat, go for it! Buy it fresh or by the can, and just make sure that you pick over it really well for shells before adding it to the salad.
Old Bay Seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning is a great seasoning that is really popular in New England cooking, specifically related to seafood. I love it in my Shrimp Pasta Salad and often people use it to replace Spike in my Crab Pasta Salad.
You can usually find it with the spices and seasonings and it contains:
- Celery Salt
- Red Pepper
- Black Pepper
Or you can make Homemade Old Bay Seasoning.
How Long Does This Last
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days when stored in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
How to Eat Seafood Salad
I think that seafood salad is great on it’s own. But it is also delicious eaten on a croissant or a bun as a seafood salad sandwich. You could also serve it in lettuce or endive cups as an appetizer.
Other Great Salads
If you are putting out a spread some other great salad recipes are:
If you make this Seafood Salad recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat see note about using real crab meat
- 12 ounces salad shrimp thawed
- 1/2 small red onion diced small
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning learn more about Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teasoon dry dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (see note)
- black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat (broken up), shrimp, red onion, and celery.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning, fresh dill, and salt. Taste and add pepper to taste.
- Stir the dressing into the main ingredients and serve. This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days in an air tight container.