Egg Salad is such a comfort food classic. This recipe is simple, but full of the delicious flavor that you love, making the perfect egg salad sandwich.
Sometimes we are looking for an easy dinner that we can make at the very last minute. Honestly, we are always looking for that. This Egg Salad recipe is the perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket for the days when you have no idea what to feed your family.
This recipe has the perfect balance of egg and creaminess, and the most simple yet delicious flavors. While we like to keep it on hand for a dinner that is on the table in under 30 minutes, it is a great recipe for a party. If you are hosting a baby shower or summer picnic, this recipe is easily doubled or tripled to add another great salad to your table.
Be sure to check out
How to Make Egg Salad
- Hard boil eggs: I have instructions to do that on the stovetop listed here, but you can also making hard boiled eggs in the instant pot.
- Separate the eggs: Take the yolks out of the whites and put them in a bowl.
- Mix: Mix the egg yolks, mayonnaise, and seasonings. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Stir: Add in the chopped remaining egg whites and the celery.
How to Hard Boil Eggs
Hard Boiled Eggs are made simply on the stove top. You can check out my How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs post for lots of tips and tricks.
- Add eggs in a single layer to a saucepan.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat off, and cover for 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl filled with ice for five minutes.
The Best Egg to Mayonnaise Ratio
This recipe has the best ratio of eggs to mayonnaise. While it is nice and creamy, it still is hearty and full of eggs. We are using 8 large eggs to 3/4 cup of mayonnaise. We found that 1/2 a cup made for an egg salad that was too dry, while 1 cup was way too much. This is the perfect balance.
Add Some Pickle
For an extra boost of flavor to this great recipe, cut up a dill pickle or two, and then add a few teaspoons of the dill pickle juice to the mixture. I love the crunch that the pickle adds and the great taste of the dill pickle juice.
What to Add to an Egg Salad Sandwich
If you are my husband, you just put egg salad on bread, and you are a happy camper. If you want some other ideas, here are some of the things I like on mine.
- Pickled Red Onions
What to Serve with Egg Salad Sandwiches
This recipe is perfect for a picnic or backyard BBQ, but it also makes a really great and easy weeknight dinner! We love egg salad sandwiches with watermelon on the side.
Some other great side dish options that scream summer picnic are:
If you make this recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
How long does egg salad last?
When stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator, this egg salad will last for 3 to 5 days. Please always use your best judgement and if left overs smell off, toss them.
How many does egg salad serve?
This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups. You can make a nice egg salad sandwich with 1/3 cup, meaning you can make 4 sandwiches out of this recipe.
What to serve egg salad on?
We love our egg salad sandwiches on thick country bread, as seen here, but you could also serve it on buns. If you are eating low carb, you could eat these out of lettuce cups, like pictured in my Seafood Salad.
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light, but full fat will work)
- 1 celery stalk diced small
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- To hard boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover them compltely. Bring to a roaring boil. Turn off heat, and cover pan. Let sit for 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl filled with ice water for 5 minutes.
- Peel the eggs and seperate out the yolks. Chop the egg whites.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, mayonnaise, celery, dill, dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and paprika until creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Stir the chopped egg whites into the mixture. Serve on buns with lettuce and sliced tomatoes and enjoy!