This Chicken Salad is an easy recipe that comes together to make an amazing chicken salad sandwich. Make it to bring to a picnic or just have it for an easy weeknight meal.
This Chicken Salad with grapes is great all year, but especially for summer picnics! This recipe has my heart. I love the sweetness the grapes bring to this savory recipe. Their crunch pairs perfectly with that of the celery.
Your family will love this recipe now for easy lunches and even more so come the fall when school picks back up again.
Loved your chicken salad….never used grapes before but it will be a must from now on! Thank you!
Chicken Salad Ingredients
The ingredients in this recipe are the perfect balance of flavors and texture. Scroll to the bottom of the post to get the full printable recipe with measurements and instructions.
- Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Red Onion
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
How to Make Chicken Salad
I like to make this recipe in three steps.
- Add the main ingredients (chicken, grapes, red onion, celery) to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl. Try the dressing and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing into the main ingredients and mix to combine.
How to Make Shredded Chicken
Making shredded chicken for this or other recipes is very simple and takes less than 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a sauce pan with enough water to cover it.
- Bring the water to a boil and simmer over low heat for 4 to 10 minutes or until the chicken registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
A note on the thermometer: I love that one because it can be easily kept in while the chicken cooks. It has an alarm that lets me know exactly when it reaches 165 degrees.
You can also use your Instant Pot to make shredded chicken. Another great option is to use a rotisserie chicken. Sometimes I like to buy several, shred them, and freeze them.
Please note that you will need 1 pound of raw chicken to make 3 cups of shredded chicken.
Why No Nuts
You will notice that I didn’t use any nuts in this recipe, though many chicken salad recipes call for it. I really love the sweet crunch that grapes give this recipe and didn’t think the nuts were necessary.
If your family likes nuts in it, I would recommend toasting 1/4 cup of almond slices and adding those in.
What to Serve Chicken Salad On
My favorite way to eat this is on a nice soft buttery croissant. But it is delicious on any bread or bun for an amazing chicken salad sandwich. It would also be great in a wrap.
If you want to make this a lower carb recipe, you could eat this in endive or Bib Lettuce cups like in my Chicken Lettuce Wraps. This is also great just eaten with a fork or on a bed of salad greens.
This recipe makes 4 cups. What you see pictured is about 1/2 a cup of chicken salad to make a chicken salad sandwich. I would plan for about 8 sandwiches for this recipe.
How long is chicken salad good for?
Chicken Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. That being said, if it was left outside more than 2 hours at a picnic, it should be tossed.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
I would not recommend freezing this recipe. In general I don’t like freezing mayonnaise based dishes.
What can I use in place of grapes?
Dried cranberries would be great to replace the grapes here.
Other Great Picnic Recipes
If you are looking for other great recipes to bring to a picnic, consider some of these options:
- My Corn Salad is always a hit!
- Everyone will love this Healthy Potato Salad. The dressing is amazing.
- My Strawberry Spinach Salad would go perfectly with this.
If you make this chicken salad recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped (see notes in the post for how to cook shredded chicken)
- 1 cup red grapes cut in half
- 1/2 small red onion diced small
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the cooked chicken, red grapes, red onion, and celery.
- In a small bowl whisk togethr the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste being careful to start out with just a little.
- Stir the dressing into the main ingredients.
- Serve right away or store in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. Please note that if this salad sits out for more than 2 hours, the leftovers should be thrown away.