Crockpot Chicken and Noodles is the perfect dinner to come home to. Made with simple ingredients and only 10 minutes hands on time, this will be a winner in your house.
Today I’m sharing a very easy recipe with you that my kids totally love. In fact, they love it so much they are even excited about leftovers for lunch the next day which is the true test of a recipe in my house.
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles requires only about 10 minutes of hands on time, and is total comfort food. With chicken, noodles, and some simple veggies you have a whole meal in your slow cooker when you get home.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
- Combine ingredients in the slow cooker. To your slow cooker add chicken, cut up carrots, garlic, condensed chicken soup, chicken broth, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the noodles. Stir in egg noodles and cook for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the peas. Finally, stir in some frozen peas. Serve it up and enjoy.
Chicken Shredding Hack
Recently a friend of mine told me how much she loves my Chicken Enchilada Soup that it is even worth having to shred chicken at the end. And then I blew her mind with my secret for shredding chicken.
At the end of this slow cooker chicken and noodles recipe, you need to shred the chicken. Remove it from the slow cooker, and throw it in a bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Then using a hand mixer or the paddle attachment of your stand mixer, shred the chicken.
If you are thinking that this isn’t worth washing those extra dishes, I will respectfully disagree. This crockpot dinner is just one dish to clean at the end of the night, so adding one more bowl so that I don’t have to shred chicken by hand is absolutely worth it.
Using Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
For those who want to make a dinner full from scratch, I suggest using my Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup in this recipe. You will need to double the recipe for this, but it still will only take about 25 minutes to make.
Benefits of making this from scratch include:
- Making it lower in sodium. You can completely control the sodium of this when you make it yourself.
- Making it dairy free. If you have a dairy allergy in your house, you can replace the butter in this recipe with vegan butter, and the milk with soy milk.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Adding Frozen Peas
The peas in this recipe don’t really get much cooking time. In fact it is only about a minute from when they are added to the slow cooker to when you serve the recipe. But this is perfect. The heat from the recipe will warm them and they will still be bright green and the perfect texture. Nobody wants overcooked peas.
Cooking Noodles in the Slow Cooker
It is easy to cook noodles in the slow cooker and it takes less than 30 minutes when your crockpot is on high. The liquid of the recipe is absorbed by the noodles as they cook in the hot recipe.
While noodles cooked in the slow cooker don’t have quite the same texture as boiled noodles, it works very well in this delicious recipe. For this recipe, 25 minutes was the perfect amount of time for the noodles.
This recipe is not gluten free. Both the condensed soup and the noodles contain gluten.
Yes, most small noodles (like penne, shells, rigatoni) will work in place of the egg noodles if you stick to using 8 ounces.
What to Serve with Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
While I think this recipe is great on it’s own, you could round it out with one of the following:
If you make this Crockpot Chicken and Noodles recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 21 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup (storebought or our homemade recipe)
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- fresh parsley for topping
- Add the chicken (whole, not diced), carrots, onion, garlic, soup, and chicken broth to the crockpot. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- At the end of the cook time, take out the chicken and shred it. Add it back to the crockpot with the noodles. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas. They will take just a minute or two in the hot slow cooker to thaw. Taste, and add more salt or pepper as needed. Top with fresh parsley, serve, and enjoy.