Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies are the perfect fall spin on Puppy Chow. This fun treat is easy to make, and even easier to eat!
If there is one treat that I absolutely cannot make it is Puppy Chow. They are way too good, and I can never stop at one handful. Well, I just made them even more irresistible by throwing some pumpkin spice into the mix. This fall twist on everyone’s favorite dessert is incredible.
These Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies are perfect for Halloween parties, fall festivals, and Sunday’s watching football. No judgement if you need to make a double batch. I certainly will be – one batch for me, and one for the guests.
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow Ingredients
Pumpkin Spice muddy buddies are made from the following simple ingredients:
- Chex cereal: Crucial for holding the chocolatey peanut butter pumpkin goodness, this cereal is the base for all puppy chow recipes. You can also find the cereal easily in gluten free varieties.
- Chocolate chips: I prefer milk chocolate chips, but you can also use semi-sweet if that is what you prefer or if that is what you have on hand.
- Butter: Either salted or unsalted will work for this recipe.
- Peanut butter: Creamy peanut butter is best for this recipe as the texture will be better than if using crunchy peanut butter.
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Spice: This homemade recipe is super easy and combines four spices you probably already have in your kitchen to create the perfect pumpkin spice blend.
- Powdered Sugar: I find it best to start with just 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and only add in the last 1/2 cup if it is strictly necessary.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies
Below is a brief overview of how to make puppy chow with pumpkin spice. It is easy to make and doesn’t require any baking. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full recipe and measurements.
- Add your cereal to a large mixing bowl. For easy mixing, you’ll want to use a very large bowl.
- Make the chocolate sauce. In a glass measuring cup, microwave the chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, and butter together until melted.
- Add pumpkin spice. Stir in the pumpkin spice and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal. Stir to combine until all the cereal is coated with the chocolate peanut butter sauce. It may be easiest to mix with clean hands.
- Coat with powdered sugar. Add the whole mixture to a large plastic bag or plastic container with a lid. Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and toss to coat. If necessary, add the reaming 1/2 cup powdered sugar and toss again.
- Add remaining pumpkin spice. Add to the mixture and toss again to combine.
The classic Muddy Buddies has many delicious variations. Swap out the peanut butter for Nutella for a peanut-free option. My Apple Pie Muddy Buddies with Streusel Topping is another festive fall treat that is hard to resist.
Here are a few of my other favorite puppy chow recipe variations:
Storing and Freezing Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies
Store your pumpkin spice muddy buddies in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Puppy Chow does not need to be refrigerated. It is also great (dare I say even better?) frozen and can be eaten right out of the freezer.
Yes! It can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free Chex cereal. As will all recipes, double check the labels of your ingredients to ensure they do not contain gluten.
The yummy snack is commonly referred to as muddy buddies or sometimes puppy chow because some think it looks like food for dogs. That being said, please don’t feed this to your dogs as it will be harmful.
Also known as pumpkin pie spice, it is a blend of seasonings commonly used as a flavoring for pumpkin pie but does not contain any pumpkin as an ingredient. My pumpkin spice blend contains cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and ginger. Some blends contain allspice instead of clove.
Other Pumpkin Recipes
- These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack.
- Start your morning (or afternoon pick me up) with this delicious Pumpkin Cold Brew.
- This Pumpkin Cookie Dough Dip is another no bake recipe that comes together quickly that your family will love!
If you try this pumpkin spice muddy buddies recipe or any of my other recipes, leave a comment telling me what you think!
Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumkin spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- Add the cereal to a large bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, melt the chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, and butter together on high for 1 minutes. Stir together. Stir in 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin spice and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal. Stir to combine. Use clean hands if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into a clean plastic bag. Pour 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar over the mixture and shake to combine. If necessary add the remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into the bag and toss to combine. Finally, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin spice. Toss again to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.