This Crockpot BBQ Chicken uses my five star BBQ sauce to make easy crockpot shredded bbq chicken. Your family will fall back on this recipe over and over.
We are constantly on the hunt for easy family dinner recipes, and this Crockpot BBQ Chicken is a winner! It comes together with my homemade BBQ Sauce and is so simple. If you haven’t tried that recipe, check it out. It has rave reviews.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Worchestershire Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
Make sure you scroll to the bottom of the post to get the full printable recipe with measurements.
Type of Chicken to Use
You can use any boneless skinless chicken in this recipe. Whether you are using breasts, tenders, or thighs, it will turn out great.
The most important thing to keep in mind is not over cooking the chicken. To ensure this, use an instant read thermometer with a long wire and insert it in the thickest part of the chicken. You can monitor the temperature and when it reaches 165, turn off your crockpot.
I love making recipes in my crock pot because you can just set it and walk away. The only draw back here is that slow cookers vary in the temperature they cook food.
Because of the difference in slow cookers, the cooking time on this recipe has a decent range to it. Get to know your slow cooker and where it tends to fall in ranges. You don’t want over cooked chicken.
How to Make Crockpot BBQ Chicken
This recipe is truly simple and I think you are going to love it!
- In the base of your slow cooker, whisk together the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Note: The original recipe calls for simmering but no need to do that here.
- Add the chicken and make sure that it is well covered by the sauce.
- Cook on low for 2 to 4 hours or until the chicken registers 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred fine.
- Return to the sauce and mix. Serve on buns and enjoy!
This BBQ Pulled Chicken is more sweet than spicy. If you wanted to up the spice factor there are a few tings you could add to the BBQ sauce ingredients before putting in the chicken:
- Add 1 teaspoon of hot sauce to the bbq sauce ingredients.
- Double the amount of black pepper from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
This is a great recipe to double if you are serving a crowd. Double all of the ingredients and add 1 hour to cooking time. Again, your best bet for not getting dry chicken is to use a thermometer.
What to Serve with Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
There are a number of sides that would go great with this sandwich. I, admittedly, gravitate towards fries and potato chips.
- Baked Potato Wedges: This is the perfect recipe because it is only 3 ingredients and will take no time in the oven as you are shredding your chicken.
- Sweet Potato Fries: I can never get enough of this recipe. I could eat the whole batch myself.
- Easy Beet Salad: If you are going for a little healthier of a side dish, this is a great choice.
- Tomato Cucumber Salad: My kids, even my picky one, love this salad!
If you make this Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- Slow Cooker: This is my favorite by far. It is a work horse that doesn’t quit even after years and years of recipe testing.
- Instant Read Thermometer: This is a great option because it has a long wire and can hang out outside your crockpot.
- Measuring Spoons: You will love that these are double sided. Perfect for a busy cook.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In the base of the slow cooker whisk together brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken and flip once making sure it is coated.
- Cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. To ensure that your chicken is not over cooked, use an instant read thermometer and cook until it registers 165 degrees.
- When done, remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and shred well. Return to the slow cooker and toss with the bbq sauce. Serve on buns and enjoy.
Valencia Shelton says
Fourth of July coming up and this will go good on Brioche rolls!! Thank you and enjoy the holiday
Lisa Longley says
You are welcome! I hope you love it Valencia!
Annette L. Hebbeler says
i made the crock pot BBQ chicken tonight and it was really good. I used two large (not huge) chicken breasts. I cut each breast into six pieces against the grain which made shredding the cooked chicken much easier I did make a substitution. I don’t like apple cider vinegar because it has too much of a bite so I swapped it out with rice wine vinegar. Much milder.
Have you ever done this with a pork roast? If so how long would you suggest I cook it on high?
Lisa Longley says
I sure have! I absolutely love our BBQ Pork recipe!