These Grapefruit Muffins are an out of the box flavor but absolutely amazing. So moist! Perfect for breakfast or a snack for the kids!
My kids kind of flipped out over these muffins and ate two batches of them before I could blink. They are moist, and they have the best little drop of Grapefruit Spread in them. If you are skeptical of a Grapefruit Muffin, just think of a lemon poppyseed muffin. It’s like that, but better!
How to Make Grapefruit Muffins
This is a brief overview of how to make these great muffins. For the full recipe with all of the measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat together the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl combine the sugar, eggs, grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, and milk. Then whisk in the butter.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Bake and enjoy!
Part of what makes these so perfect is the grapefruit spread surprise in the inside. Based on my Lemon Curd recipe, it is simple to make, and is perfect inside of these muffins. You will also love it on warm piece of toast!
I love adding the zest of citrus to recipes. It adds a delicious punch of flavor in the most simple way. Try it with my Lemon Sugar Cookies!
The key to zesting is to just pull off the outer layer with a zester. When you get to the white rind, you should stop.
Storing and Freezing
Store these muffins in an airtight container for up to one week. As with all recipes, use your best discretion when it comes to leftovers.
These also freeze fantastic. Place them on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Freeze for two hours before transferring them to an air tight container. This flash freezing will prevent them from sticking to each other. Store in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to eat, allow them to thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grapefruit zest plus 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup Grapefruit Spread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl wish together the sugar, eggs, zest, juice, and milk. Whisk in the butter.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup with two tablespoons of muffin batter. Then add two teaspoons of grapefruit spread and top with another tablespoon of batter. Evenly distribute any left over batter amongst the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges appear golden brown.
- Allow to cool and top with powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.