These Smashed Potatoes are loaded with garlic, butter and lots of cheese. Quick and easy, they’re a perfect side dish for any night of the week!
Your family is going to love this smashed potato recipe! They’re super easy to make and so delicious. Lots of gooey cheese, garlic, butter and herbs on tender red potatoes are so yummy. I actually made these roasted smashed potatoes for Thanksgiving one year but since then I’ve paired them with dozens of dinners over the years including our Italian sloppy joes and these Italian stuffed peppers. Scrumptious!
What would you make to serve with these potatoes? Feel free to leave me a comment below and let’s swap recipe ideas!
FAST AND EASY SIDE DISH
From start to finish these red smashed potatoes take less than an hour to make and really, the stove and oven does all the work! Here’s the time breakdown:
- Boil red potatoes for 30 minutes until they’re tender.
- It’ll take less than five minutes for you place the potatoes on a cookie sheet and gently “smash” them with a fork. Throw the cheese and seasonings on top and pop them into the oven.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Bam! Done. These little guys are so low maintenance you’ll want to make them all the time.
WHAT POTATOES WORK BEST FOR SMASHED POTATOES?
I love using smaller red skinned potatoes when making this recipe because they’re the perfect size to boil and then gently smash. They’re bite size and easy to pop into your mouth. But you could use any waxy spud like Yukon golds or fingerling potatoes. They’re small and hold their shape during boiling. If you only have russets on hand, you can use them as well. Just dice them into large chunks and watch to make sure they’re boiled until just tender.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SMASHED POTATOES
This is a unique side dish for Thanksgiving, as it gives everyone a break from plain old mashed potatoes. But you can whip up a batch of these roasted smashed potatoes next time you roast a chicken or even make some frozen fish sticks for dinner because that’s the way life goes. Your family will love you for it. Try these cheesy smashed potatoes with some of these main dishes too:
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Grilled Chicken Legs
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Teriyaki Salmon Foil Packets
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham
MORE TASTY SIDE DISHES
Side dishes don’t have to be bland and boring. Veggies and potatoes turn vibrant and flavorful with a few herbs and seasonings. And they’re so simple! Try some of these flavor packed sides that will add color and variety to your main dishes:
- Roasted Green Beans with Sesame and Garlic
- Creamed Spinach
- Scalloped Corn and Broccoli
- Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- Cheesy Potato Recipe
These garlic smashed potatoes are truly one of my favorite side dishes to make, and I can’t wait for you to try them! Please leave me a comment below and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 TBSPs butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tssp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Add the potatoes (whole) and cook for 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the cooked potatoes on the baking sheet. Gently push down the potatoes with a fork or potato mashers. You are looking to just crack them, not mash them.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Combine the melted butter, garlic, and dried seasoning. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and then top them with the cheeses.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is gooey and melted.