My Slow Cooker Mulled Wine is the perfect holiday drink. Made right in your slow cooker with easy-to-find ingredients, all of your guests will love this cocktail.
Mulled Wine is one of my very favorite seasonal drinks. It is both spicy and sweet, with a nice boozy kick to it. This slow cooker version of my stovetop Mulled Wine comes together with just minutes of prep. It is the perfect drink for a party because it will warm up your guests with minimal work from you!
What is Mulled Wine
Mulled wine is wine that has been heated up with sugar, fruits, and spices. It is served warm and will fill your home with an intoxicating fragrance, making it the ultimate cozy cocktail.
Mulled Wine Ingredients
The combination of red wine, fruit, spices, and brown sugar combine in this easy mulled wine crockpot recipe. Coming together in your slow cooker, it will fill your home with the best cozy smell and warm you up from the inside out.
- Red wine: This isn’t a recipe you need to splurge on an expensive bottle for. See more on the best wine for mulled wine below.
- Brown sugar: Adds just enough sweetness to balance the other flavors.
- Fresh lemon and oranges: We use the peels from each fruit along with slices of orange for garnish.
- Brandy: The traditional spirit added to mulled wine, this liquor pairs perfectly with red wine.
- Ruby Port: Port is a dessert wine with a deep and rich flavor. Even if you don’t love port on it’s own, I suggest using it in this great cocktail for the layer of flavor it adds to the background.
- Whole cloves: This great will really infuse your drink as it simmers for a few hours. If you are concerned about these floating around the cocktail, you can add an orange slice to this before it cooks and put the cloves in that. Another great option is to put them in a cheesecloth and tie that up before adding it.
- Cinnamon sticks: Adds amazing and cozy flavor.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
This cozy cocktail couldn’t get any easier! Here is a brief summary of the slow cooker mulled wine recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact measurements and ingredients!
- Combine all ingredients. Stir together all of the ingredients (except the brandy and port) in your slow cooker, making sure the brown sugar is dissolved completely.
- Cook on low. Heat the mulled wine in the slower cooker on low for two hours.
- Add the brandy. At the two-hour mark, stir in the brandy and turn your slow cooker to the warm setting. Serve this cocktail warm for a cozy treat!
Best Wine for Mulled Wine
While there are many mulled wine recipes employing different types of wine, this one features a bottle of red wine. The key is the use a red wine or red blend that you enjoy drinking by itself. Because we are adding sugar, I would start with a dryer red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, or Pinot Noir. Ultimately, you are going for a flavor that you personally love, and I think it’s important to note that you don’t need to break the bank to achieve that.
Serving Mulled Wine
Mulled wine is best enjoyed warm. It can be kept in the crockpot on a warm setting during a party or hosting and served using a ladle. A mug with a handle is helpful to protect your hands from the heat of this cozy beverage.
You can garnish each mug with an extra orange slice or two. It is also beautiful with some fresh cranberries.
Storing Leftovers and Reheating
Let the mulled wine cool completely and strain it into an air-tight container. Store in your fridge and drink the leftovers within three days. To reheat your mulled wine, add the amount you want to drink to a small saucepan. Heat on low until warm. You may also put the mulled wine back in your crockpot on low until warm.
Mulled wine is best served warm, but can be enjoyed cold too.
Yes! See my instructions on reheating your slow cooker mulled wine above.
Mulled wine lasts in the refrigerator for three days. Please see our instructions above for storing leftovers.
Rum, bourbon, Cointreau, or even apple juice could all be used instead of brandy in mulled wine.
Yes! I have the perfect Mulled Wine Recipe for the stovetop.
Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- 1500 milliliters red wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 12 whole cloves
- peel of one lemon
- peel of one orange
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups brandy
- 2 cups ruby port
- Combine the red wine, brown sugar, cloves, lemon, orange, and cinnamon sticks in a slow cooker. Heat in a slow cooker on low for two hours.1500 milliliters red wine, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 12 whole cloves, peel of one lemon, peel of one orange, 4 cinnamon sticks
- Add the brandy and port and turn the slow cooker to warm. Serve warm in mugs with orange slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish.2 cups brandy, 2 cups ruby port