This easy Taco Casserole is the perfect dinner recipe for a hungry family! Made with simple ingredients, this is a skillet dinner everyone will love.
I am really excited to share this dinner with you guys! I think it is going to be a total winner in your house, and I can’t wait for you to try it.
This was beautiful, all your recipes are! Definitely making again ASAP!
WHY I LOVE THIS CASSEROLE RECIPE
Obviously I love every recipe that makes its way to your in box. If it’s not good, it doesn’t make the cut. But there are a couple reasons I really love this recipe.
- It is very easy to make.
- This casserole has minimal clean up at the end.
- My Taco Casserole is made with simple ingredients.
- It is serious comfort food and so delicious.
You know I could go on and on.
TACO CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
As I mentioned, this recipe has really simple ingredients. So much of this you can easily keep in your pantry. This is a great dinner to fall back on.
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Beef Stock
- Canned Black Beans
- Frozen Corn
BEEF VS. TURKEY
If your family likes the taste of ground turkey more than ground beef, you can definitely use that in place of the ground beef. If you use use lean ground turkey, you will need more olive oil to start with.
How spicy this taco rice casserole is really depends on what salsa you use. My kids can’t tolerate much spice, so for them I make this with a mild salsa.
If you love heat, make it with a hot salsa.
Additionally, you can control the heat level by making your own taco seasoning. I have a whole post about my taco seasoning recipe, and it goes over spice in there.
I love that recipe because it is customizable and you can make a big batch to keep on hand.
I know how much you love casseroles that you can make ahead, and that totally works with this one.
To make ahead:
- Follow the instructions up to the point of putting on the cheese.
- Allow the casserole to cool and then cover with aluminum foil.
- Put the skillet in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Before baking, add the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Please note that depending on the type of salsa you use, you may need to add more before baking. Putting it in the oven for that length of time can dry it out if your salsa is light on the liquid and heavy on the chunks.
You can also make this ahead and freeze. After making it on the stove top, transfer to a baking dish. Wrap very well and store in the freezer for up to three months.
When ready to bake, top with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Please note that transferring a ceramic or glass baking dish right from the freezer to the hot oven can result in it breaking. I suggest using an aluminum baking dish.
Store any left overs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Eat or discard within three days.
SKILLET DINNERS YOU WILL LOVE
I love that this is a one pot dinner, and I have other stove top dinners I know you will love:
- My Black Bean Tacos are done in less than 20 minutes and are a great pantry dinner!
- This One Pot Creamy Shrimp Pasta is a hit by everyone who makes it.
- My middle kiddo LOVES this Beef and Broccoli!
If you make this taco casserole recipe or any of my other recipes, come back and tell me what you think!
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a hot oven-proof skillet. Add in the ground beef and saute until browned.
- Drain the fat from the pan. Stir in the taco seasoning, salsa, beef stock, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and cover, stirring occasionally for 20 – 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Stir in the black beans and the frozen corn. Top with cheddar cheese and put under the broiler in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.