This Zucchini Soup is incredibly creamy and rich despite having absolutely no dairy in it. You will be blown away by how delicious this simple, healthy soup is.
While I’m absolutely in denial that our summer is coming to a an end – it always goes way too fast – one thing I love about this part of summer is the abundance of veggies in my garden. I have so many zucchini coming in, and so many great recipes for them. I’m so happy to give you one more with this delicious zucchini soup.
Zucchini Soup is no only incredibly easy to make, it’s really healthy. With just a small bit of oil, some zucchini, garlic and onion, broth, and a little seasoning, you have a great soup that makes a perfect lunch. This soup is gluten free and easily vegan, making it great for so many different diets.
I made this last night with zucchini from our garden and it was DELICIOUS!! I’m definitely going to make it again soon. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
How to Make Zucchini Soup
This is a brief overview of how to make an easy zucchini soup recipe. For the full recipe and measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Sauté the vegetables. In a large dutch oven, heat oil and sauté the zucchini, small onion, garlic, and spices for about five minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
- Add stock and simmer. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Blend it. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth in the pot. You could also transfer to a blender in batches.
- Enjoy! Top with parmesan cheese and a drizzle of cream if desired and enjoy.
Zucchinis are one of those produce items that are easy to grow in vegetable gardens and so universal in recipes. The abundant crop can be used in recipes ranging from entrees like this soup or Zucchini Lasagna, to side dishes, and even dessert (looking at you, Chocolate Zucchini Cake).
- Choose a zucchini that is firm with vibrant green skin.
- They get more bitter as they get larger, so try to avoid overly large zucchini.
- Look for zucchini that are about 6-8 inches in length and free of blemishes.
Whole zucchini can last in the fridge for up to a week if unwashed and in a plastic or paper bag with one end open for air access. Cut zucchini can last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an air tight container.
If you plan on freezing zucchini, you will need to take a few extra steps. Because zucchini holds so much water, if you freeze it without prepping it, it won’t be as firm and plump after thawing. Avoid this by first chopping it and then blanching it before freezing. Blanch the zucchini by briefly boiling it and then putting it in ice water, like we do in my Green Bean Casserole.
Storing and Reheating
Once cooled, this creamy Zucchini Soup recipe can be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to four days. As with all recipes, use your best discretion when eating leftovers.
To reheat leftovers, remove just the portion you plan on eating. Place in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until warmed through.
This soup freezes very well. Once cooled, place in an airtight container with room for the soup to expand. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a stock pot over low heat, stirring often.
Peeling zucchini isn’t necessary for this recipe unless you are using a very large zucchini. In that case, the skin may be bitter and tough which would be beneficial to remove.
If you skip the optional cream and cheese at the end, this recipe is vegan.
Yes, but there are some specific steps to successfully freezing zucchini. See our steps above.
Other Zucchini Recipes
Looking for more ways to use up your bountiful crop of zucchini? Try these delicious recipes!
- My Zucchini Salad is one of the hidden gems on Simple Joy, little known, but one of my very favorites!
- Easy Zucchini Muffins make the perfect snack or breakfast on the go.
- Looking for the perfect side for a meal? These Baked Zucchini Fries are crunchy and picky-eater approved.
- Zucchini Boats are an easy and filling weeknight dinner.
If you try this Zucchini soup or any of my other recipes, leave a comment and tell me what you think. I love hearing from you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound zucchini chopped (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Parmesan cheese (optional for topping)
- Drizzle of cream (optional for serving)
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add the zucchini, small onion, garlic, and spices. Sauté until the zucchini is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, blending in batches, until it is smooth. Or use an immersion blender for quick blending right in the pot.
- Top with parmesan cheese and a drizzle of cream if desired and enjoy.