BBQ Chicken Pizza should be added to your pizza night immediately. It is easy to make and totally perfect with my homemade BBQ Sauce.
Pizza night is one of my very favorites in our house. We make my amazing homemade pizza dough and then we divide the recipe up into five balls and everyone rolls out their own individual pizzas. My kids love it so much they request it all the time.
The next time that you are having pizza night at your house, make my delicious BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe. The base starts with my amazing BBQ sauce and it just gets better from there. I finish it off with some pickled jalapeños and fresh cilantro and pizza night just doesn’t get any better than that.
How To Make BBQ Chicken Pizza
Here is a brief overview of how this homemade BBQ pizza recipe with chicken comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Roll out the pizza crust. I love using my favorite Pizza Dough recipe.
- Add the toppings. Spread out the BBQ sauce and then add the chicken, bacon, cheese, and onions.
- Bake the pizza. Look for the cheese to be melted and for the edges to start to brown.
- Garnish the pizza. Add pickled jalapeños and cilantro and enjoy!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
Rather than traditional pizza sauce, we are using BBQ sauce. I recommend using my Homemade BBQ Sauce for this BBQ pizza. It is the perfect blend of tangy and sweet and is so delicious with chicken on pizza! It comes together with simple ingredients in about 20 minutes but can be made up to two weeks in advance and kept in your refrigerator. I also love it with my Crock Pot Ribs and BBQ Pulled Pork.
Making Pizza Dough
Homemade pizza is taken over the top with my Homemade Pizza Crust. I share step-by-step directions with photos that make this recipe foolproof. It makes enough dough for two pizzas, so half of it would be great for this recipe. Find even more pizza recipes towards the bottom of this post for even more great ways to use my dough recipe on pizza night.
If you want to make this BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe and are short on time or prefer to buy a pre-made crust for convenience, that will work too. Whatever brings your family around the table is what is best.
Even though the pizza will be baked in the oven, you will want to cook your bacon before adding it to the pizza. This will ensure it is crispy and delicious. Small pieces are easier to eat in recipes like pizza and tacos, so take the time to cut them small. I think this is easiest to do before you cook it. I like to cut bacon into small pieces while it is raw (kitchen shears work great for this) and then cook it in a skillet.
Remove the bacon pieces from the pan as soon as they begin to crisp and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. If you leave the pieces of bacon in the pan until they are fully crispy, they will overcook.
You can also cook Bacon in the Air Fryer. It makes for a lot less mess and cooks evenly every time. Cook the slices and use a sharp knife to chop them into small pieces.
This BBQ pizza recipe uses cooked chicken that has been shredded. You have a few options for how to do this. You can shred the cooked chicken using two forks or a stand mixer and paddle attachment.
- Use Frozen Shredded Chicken. This is perfect to grab for those busy weeknight meals because it thaws quickly and will save you so much time. It comes in handy for so many recipes!
- Get a rotisserie chicken. Picking up a rotisserie chicken from the store is the quickest way to have cooked chicken.
- Boil chicken breasts. In a saucepan, add your chicken breasts and cover them with water. Simmer until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 4-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the breast. Once they are fully cooked (use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit), take them out of the pan and shred them.
For any recipe that requires shredded cheese, I always recommend buying a block and shredding it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is covered in preservatives that prevent it from clumping together in the bag. Avoid that by taking a few extra minutes to shred it yourself. It will melt and taste better and I promise it will be worth it.
How to Serve
I love eating this pizza with chopped cilantro and my Pickled Jalapeños. They add an extra layer of flavor and a little crunch that are so delicious. You could also add a little sour cream.
If you have any leftover BBQ pizza, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat by baking in the oven for 10 minutes. Leftovers should only be reheated once. Always use your best judgment when it comes to reheating and eating leftovers.
Other Pizza Recipes
If your family loves all things pizza, try some of these other pizza recipes!
If you make this BBQ chicken pizza recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment letting me know what you think.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll the pizza dough out to about 12 inches. Place on a pizza pan or baking stone.
- Spread the BBQ sauce over the pizza crust. Then top with chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and red onions.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the pizza begin to brown.
- Top with cilantro and pickled jalapeños and enjoy!