If you love the buffalo flavor as much as I do, you are going to love these Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels. Filled with gooey cheese and spicy chicken, they’re a delightful combination of buffalo chicken wings and pizza all rolled up into one. This recipe is a nod to our early married years, when our date night of choice consisted of dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. Judge me if you wish, but I love me some wings, cheesy potato skins and all manner of greasy appetizers! And trust me, once you make this recipe for your gang, they’ll be begging for the recipe. So good!
Do you have a guilty pleasure restaurant? Tell me I’m not alone, friends! Let me know where you like to eat, in the comments below and we can band together. Buffalo Wild Wings forever! Now, on to the recipe!
EASY BUFFALO SAUCE
The ridiculously awesome buffalo sauce recipe is an adaption from Joanne at Fifteen Spatulas. (Make sure to check out her gorgeous blog!) This simple sauce comes together in no time and can be used as a dip, a glaze for chicken wings and is perfect in this pinwheel recipe.Here’s all you need:
- One tablespoon of butter
- Another tablespoon of flour
- Half a cup of milk. I use 2% or skim or whatever I have on hand.
- About a quarter cup of Franks Hot Sauce. If you’re the daring type, add a dash or two more, or reduce the heat for smaller mouths.
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce. This will give a deeper depth of flavor and a rich color to the sauce.
The flour, butter and milk create a creamy sauce. Add the hot sauce and Worcestershire and it makes a deliciously creamy and spicy sauce that pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients.
TIPS FOR PERFECT PINWHEELS
Many other buffalo chicken pinwheels recipes are made with tortillas or spinach wraps. And while those are also delicious, this recipe is a bit more filling and hearty. Soft pizza dough, lots of yummy cheese and the saucy, spicy chicken bake up so perfectly! Here are a couple of tips for making the perfect pinwheels:
- Use a pre-made pizza dough for convenience, or you can make your own! I have a delicious pizza dough recipe that is completely foolproof and delicious. It just adds one more step to the process but so yummy!
- Once you’ve added your sauce and ingredients, carefully roll it back up, making sure the seam is secure in the middle.
- Now here’s the best tip: stick the whole roll into the freezer for about ten minutes or so until it’s nice and firm.
- Once the roll is somewhat solid but not completely frozen, it’ll be so easy to slice the roll up into even pieces.
- You can freeze the chicken pinwheels completely at this stage (just make sure you cover it completely in freezer safe wrap) and it’ll stay in the freezer for up to a month. Then you can slice and bake whenever you need a quick appetizer.
- Once baked, serve immediately and watch them disappear!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered, for two to three days. To reheat, just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds until the cheese is melted.
MORE BUFFALO FLAVORED APPETIZER IDEAS
Looking for more buffalo flavored appetizers to round out your next game day or party buffet? You’ve come to the right place! I told you my love of buffalo sauce runs deep, friends! Try some of these awesome apps that are easy and delicious!
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms
- Buffalo Ranch Dipping Sauce (perfect for fries!)
- Easy Buffalo Bacon Cheese ball
- Buffalo Deviled Eggs
- Skinny Buffalo Dip
- Buffalo Pull Apart Bread
These Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels would be a perfect simple dinner, too! Serve it with a green salad and it’s a terrific supper for any night of the week. Please leave me a comment below and let me know what you think of this recipe. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
For the Pizza
- 1 roll Pillsbury Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken shredded, about 3/4 of a small chicken breast
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
To Make the Sauce
- Melt the butter over medium low heat.
- Add the flour a little at a time, whisking into the butter so that it turns into a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking as you go, so you get out all the lumps and it becomes a nice and creamy smooth sauce.
- Whisk in the Franks, cook another minute or two and then remove from the heat.
To Make the Pizza
- Unroll the pizza crust on a large cutting board.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza dough.
- Add the chicken, scallions, mozzarella and blue cheese.
- Carefully roll it back up, going backwards from the way you came (so the part of the crust that has been in the middle of the roll will go back into the middle)
- Put the whole roll in the freezer for 10 minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When you take it out, slice it in 8 slices, and bake on parchment paper or Silpat for 15 minutes or until the outer crust is golden brown.