You just can’t beat the classic club sandwich! This recipe is so easy to make, but will absolutely hit the spot!
You know how much I love comfort food. It’s kind of the whole deal here. There is something magical about food that is made with love, and that is especially true when you are eating food that is the definition of comfort food. But comfort food is generally seen as warm, and that doesn’t always work in the summer months.
This Club Sandwich is the perfect comfort food for summer. It isn’t warm, but it will still warm your soul. It is easy to make, and the definition of filling.
Club Sandwich Ingredients
A turkey club sandwich is a classic sandwich that is layered with bread, deli meat, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Using three pieces of bread, with one in the middle of the sandwich, is something that sets it apart from other deli sandwiches. It is traditionally cut into fourths and secured with toothpicks.
- Sourdough Bread: Toasting your bread gives it a nice crunch. Three pieces of bread layer with the other ingredients to create the classic club sandwich.
- Mayonnaise: I prefer light mayo.
- Turkey: You could also use sliced chicken.
- Bacon: Have your bacon cooked before constructing your sandwiches.
- Romaine lettuce and tomato
How to Make a Club Sandwich
Here is a brief overview of how this turkey club sandwich recipe comes together. For the full recipe, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Butter the bread. Once your bread is toasted, butter one side of each toasted piece.
- Start building the sandwich. Place down one piece of toasted bread, butter side up. Add a little mayonnaise. Then add half the lettuce, tomato (keep them in the middle so they don’t make the bread soggy), bacon, and turkey.
- Add a second piece of bread. Once mayo is on both sides of it, add it to the sandwich you started.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Layer the remaining lettuce, tomato, bacon, and turkey followed by the final piece of bread with butter.
- Secure and serve. Place four toothpicks through the sandwich to hold it in place, and then cut the sandwich into four equal triangle pieces.
The only part of this recipe that takes a bit of time is cooking bacon. Since we started cooking bacon in our air fryer, we’ve never looked back. It is hands free and eliminates so much mess while keeping the bacon nice and crisp.
Best Bread To Use
I love making this sandwich with sourdough bread because it is sturdy and provides great flavor. You can make your sandwich using any sandwich bread. Rye, white, or wheat bread would also be delicious. To make this sandwich gluten-free, use gluten-free bread.
Tips and Variations
You will find different variations for club sandwich recipes, and can adapt them to fit your taste!
- Keep the tomato in the middle of the sandwich so it doesn’t make the bread soggy.
- Add slices of avocado. The butteriness of avocado would go perfect in this recipe.
- Add cheese. Slices of American, colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack, or provolone would all be good options.
- Use ham instead of or in addition to turkey.
- Toss in some extra flavor with a salad dressing or a spread. Ranch dressing or my delicious guacamole would be great in this.
- 3 slices sourdough bread toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 5 ounces deli turkey
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon cooked
- 2 pieces Romaine lettuce
- small tomato sliced
- Butter one side of each piece of toasted bread.
- Place down one piece of toasted bread, butter side up. Add a little mayonnaise. Then add half the lettuce, tomato, bacon, and turkey.
- Add mayonnaise to both sides of the second piece of bread. Add it to the sandwich you started.
- Now add the remaining lettuce, tomato, bacon, and turkey. Add mayonnaise to the piece of bread (on the buttered side), and place it mayonnaise side down on the sandwich.
- Place 4 toothpicks through the sandwich to hold it in place and then cut the sandwich into four equal triangle pieces. Serve and enjoy!