This fast Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta comes is the perfect combo of spicy and creamy! You will love every single thing about this chicken dinner from how easily it comes together, to how delicious and comforting it is.
I am so happy to be partnering with Sutter Home to bring you this incredibly easy weeknight dinner with a kick!
Is there anything better than making an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love?
Yes! Making it with a glass of wine! Sutter Home’s White Zinfandel is perfect for date night and perfect for sipping while cooking!
This delicious cajun chicken pasta comes together in about 30 minutes. It uses my homemade cajun seasoning, and it is WAY better than what your local restaurant serves up. You will LOVE it.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA
This recipe has a few moving parts, but once you get it down, it will be a recipe you fall back on over and over. Make sure to get the full recipe at the bottom of this post.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, pan fry the seasoned chicken that you pounded thin.
- Melt butter, and add garlic, then add flour to make a roux. Slowly whisk in some half and half and let it thicken.
- Stir in parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best).
- Toss it with the pasta and serve the chicken over top.
TIPS SO THIS RECIPE TURNS OUT PERFECT
This recipe is easy to make but there are a few things to keep in mind to help it turn out perfectly.
- It’s a good idea to have all your ingredients out and ready before you begin this recipe. It will make it go more smoothly.
- Pound the chicken thin. It is necessary to make it cook quickly and make this a fast dinner.
- Alternatively, you could slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, though you may need more cajun seasoning to cover them.
- Use an instant read thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
- Don’t let the garlic burn. Keep an eye on your garlic in the butter and if you do happen to burn it, start over. Nothing ruins a recipe faster than burnt garlic.
- After adding the flour, it’s important to slowly whisk in the liquid. It is what leaves you with a nice creamy sauce.
This recipe can be totally family friendly!
While this recipe does have a little kick to it, you can totally control that by making your own cajun seasoning. My recipe has instructions for how to make it less spicy.
CAJUN INSPIRED RECIPES
Cajun recipes are a favorite of mine. Here are some others you should try!
If you make any of my recipes leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz penne pasta cooked according to package instructions
- 2 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thin
- 1 1/2 TBSPs Cajun seasoning divided
- 2 TBSPs unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan plus more for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 diced tomato
- fresh parsley chopped
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken on both sides with 1 TBSP Cajun seasoning. Add to the skillet. Cook for about three minutes on each side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, clean it, and return it to the medium heat.
- Melt the butter, add the garlic and sautée for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the flour and cook it for another 30 seconds. Very slowly add the half and half, initially about a tablespoon at a time, so the sauce thickens. Add more quickly after you have added about half a cup.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and allow it melt completely. Add the remaining 1/2 TBSP Cajun seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the penne to the sauce, top with tomatoes, parsley, parmesan cheese, and the sliced cooked chicken.
- Enjoy immediately!