Eye Round Roast is an easy to make weekend dinner. This roast beef recipe takes very little time to prepare but the finger licking marinade makes it perfect for entertain with.
One of my kids is obsessed with roast beef. She was likely a dinosaur in a past life, because she loves a big plate of meat. We have a few roast beef recipes that are regulars in our house (you can see them below the recipe card), but we love adding to the list.
What I love about this Eye Round Roast is that it is a more budget friendly piece of meat. This also means that it needs a little time and attention to make it tender. With my simple marinade, we do that with minimal work. It leaves you with a roast that was not only easy to make, but full of delicious flavor.
What is an Eye Round Roast?
Eye Round Roast is a very lean cut of beef from the round, or rear leg, of a cow. This is an economical and flavorful cut of meat. It is best enjoyed when it is braised or roasted. In this recipe we are also going to marinate it to help tenderize it.
How to Cook Eye Round Roast
- Make the marinade. Combine all of the ingredients in a measuring cup. Pour the marinade over the eye round roast in a reusable container. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Prepare the pan. For this recipe we will use a roast pan fitted with a rack. You can read more about this method below. Alternatively, you can place a cooling rack on a baking dish.
- Start the oven at a high temperature. Start the roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. This is similar to searing a roast in a skillet before putting it in the slow cooker. It helps seal in the juices.
- Reduce the oven temperature. After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour or until the temperature of the meat reaches 125 degrees. Use an instant read thermometer so as not to over cook your meat.
- Let the meat rest. Remove the roast beef from the oven and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the meat thin. Because this is such a lean cut of meat, you will enjoy it most if you slice it very thin.
Roast Beef Marinade
This very simple roast beef marinade is the same as I use for my Steak Kabobs. It is the perfect beef tenderizer, and works so well here too.
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
How Long to Marinate Beef
Normally, I suggest that meat should marinate for between 2 hours and 24 hours. For this recipe, given how lean the meat is, you should marinate the eye round roast for the full 24 hours.
Cooking Roasts on a Rack
Cooking roasts on a rack is my favorite way to cook them. This allows the air to circulate around the meat and cook evenly. It is essential in this recipe. I recommend invested in a roasting pan that is fitted with a rack, it comes in handy for so many recipes.
As mentioned above, if you don’t have a roasting pack with a rack, you can improvise. I’ve had readers tell me that placing a cooling rack – like the kind you use to cool cookies – placed on a 9 by 13 inch baking dish will work just as well.
How to tenderize eye of round roast?
The way we are tenderizing this lean cut of meat, is by marinating it for 24 hours. There is salt in it from soy sauce and acid from lemon juice. Both will help make this a very tender roast recipe.
How long to cook eye of round roast?
This recipe takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook – 15 minutes at 450 degrees and 1 hour at 350 degrees.
What temperature is eye of round roast done?
Roasts are best when they reach 130 to 135 degrees. More than that and they will be over cooked and chewy. We like to pull our eye round roast out at 125 degrees as there will be a bit of carry over cooking that happens when it comes out of the oven.
What to Serve with Eye Round Roast
- Roasted Baby Potatoes: This is always our go to recipe when we make roast beef. These potatoes are family favorite.
- Honey Roasted Carrots: A simple vegetable side dish, but I’m obsessed with it. It is so good.
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits: We are in love with this biscuit recipe and it goes perfectly here.
If you make this Eye Round Roast recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
Eye Round Roast
- 4 pounds eye of round roast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add the roast to a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the roast. Toss to make sure all sides are well covered. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a roasting pan with a wire rack.
- Place the roast on the wire rack, discarding the rest of the marinade. Roast for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees and continue roasting until the meat registers 125 degrees, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Cut in very thin slices to serve.