This Pasta Taco Casserole with Doritos is a quick comfort meal on busy weeknights when dinner seems impossible. Meaty, cheesy pasta topped with crunchy Doritos and tons of flavor, this hearty recipe comes together fast!
Pasta Taco Casserole with Doritos is my answer to the dreaded phrase, “Mom! What’s for dinner?!” You know those nights when you’re barely able to make it through the witching hour(s) between after school and bedtime? Yeah, that’s where this hearty recipe comes in super handy. It’s chock full of taco flavors that kids and adults love with pasta and crunchy Doritos on top. This recipe is a twist on my Taco Pasta Salad which is always a crowd favorite.
What are your tips for surviving that busy after school time? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments below. Let’s get through this craziness together!
EASY TACO CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
This simple supper recipe has all of your favorite taco flavors but mixed with tender pasta and baked in a casserole dish! Ultimate comfort food, right here. And the best part is, you probably have all the ingredients for this dinner in your kitchen right now! Here’s what you need:
- A pound of ground beef. You could substitute ground chicken or turkey too!
- Cooked Rotini pasta. If you don’t have rotini on hand but you have elbow macaroni, by all means use it! Any shape of pasta will do in this easy recipe.
- Onions and green bell pepper. These veggies will give lots of flavor and color in the casserole. You can use red, yellow or orange bell peppers too!
- A packet of taco seasoning. Use a store bought packet for ease, or you can make your own! Try my Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe. It’s simple to make and tastes so good!
- One cup of salsa. Any brand or level of spiciness will work for this recipe. I always have to keep it on the mild side for my kiddos.
- Some diced tomatoes. You can use regular tomatoes or find flavored diced tomatoes in a can.
- Cheddar cheese. I use at least a couple of cups of nice, sharp cheddar in this taco casserole but you could use a mild Monterrey Jack, spicy Pepper Jack, or a combination of your favorite cheeses.
- Doritos Tortilla Chips. This is my children’s favorite part! Taco casserole with Doritos crushed on top make such a fun and delightful supper. I like to use the nacho cheese flavor, but honestly you could use any flavor you like.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS FOR THIS CASSEROLE
This casserole is perfect as is, or you can top it with sour cream, shredded lettuce, extra salsa, guacamole, chopped green onions or sliced avocado.
MORE TACO FLAVORED RECIPES
If you are looking for some other great dinners with a taco vibe, you will want to try some of these yummy recipes:
- Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- Taco Meat Recipe
- Easy Taco Cheese Ball Recipe
- Taco Pinwheel Recipe
Kudos to you for making dinner on those bonkers weeknights! Hopefully this recipe will help ease that burden and give you another dinner you can whip out in no time. I can’t wait to hear what your family thinks of this dinner. Please leave a comment below and happy cooking!
Pasta Taco Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 oz taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 14 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 pound cooked rotini
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cups crushed Doritos
- Top with lettuce sour cream, fresh tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and green bell pepper and cook until softened, about four minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add in the taco seasoning and then drain the fat off of the beef and veggies.
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. To the baking dish add the beef and veggies, cooked pasta, salsa, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Mix to combine and then spread to an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then top with crusted Doritos and serve.