This Peanut Butter Pie is going to be your family’s favorite tradition. Make this delicious pie for holidays and celebrations and watch everyone fall in love.
While I don’t have the biggest sweet tooth in the world, the combination of peanut butter and chocolate makes my heart sing. It is possible that I pull a spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar and top it with chocolate chips in the quite of my pantry.
This Peanut Butter Pie is the perfection combination of chocolate and peanut butter. We start with a chocolatey Oreo crust. Then we create the most amazing and delicious creamy peanut butter filling. We top it with whipped cream and finally some chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.
How to Make Peanut Butter Pie
Here is a brief overview of how this simple no bake peanut butter pie recipe comes together. The process is quick but it needs to chill in the refrigerator overnight, so make it the day before you serve it. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the Oreo crust. Crush your Oreo cookies in a blender and mix them with melted butter. Press the mixture into a pie pan and place it in the refrigerator for it to set.
- Make the peanut butter filling. Blend together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla until smooth using a hand mixer.
- Blend the powdered sugar and the heavy cream. Mix until it is fluffy with a similar texture to shaving cream.
- Combine the cream and peanut butter mixture. Fold the heavy cream mixture into the peanut butter mixture until fully combined. Pour this mixture into the crust and refrigerate for at least eight hours or overnight.
- Make the whipped cream topping. Place a metal bowl and the metal mixers from a handheld mixer in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Whip the powdered sugar and heavy cream together until soft peaks form. Top the chilled pie with the whipped cream.
- Add the toppings. Top the pie with chocolate syrup, Reese’s mini cups, peanut butter chips, and milk chocolate chips.
Peanut Butter Pie Filling
From the Oreo crumb crust to the whipped cream topping, each layer of this pie is important. I would argue that the magic lies in the peanut butter filling! Made with creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, the result is a silky smooth filling that melts in your mouth. For the best light, whipped filling, creamy peanut butter will be your best bet.
Homemade Whipped Cream
The icing on the cake (or pie in this case), is a simple homemade whipped cream. Coming together with just two ingredients, the result is a fluffy and silky whipped cream without the extra preservatives and sweeteners of the store-bought stuff. When making the whipped cream topping for this chocolate peanut butter pie recipe, be sure to freeze your metal bowl and metal mixers from a handheld mixer for at least 15 minutes, ideally 30 minutes.
The recipe calls for heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream) which is the only thing I recommend using. Milk or half and half won’t give you the thick, silky texture that so perfectly tops the pie or holds its shape as well.
Whipped cream works really well for this recipe because we aren’t really frosting anything or piping anything. Just a single layer of whipped cream on the pie. That being said, if you want it to hold its form better, I suggest making stabilized whipped cream.
Topping a Peanut Butter Pie
In addition to whipped cream, I love decorating the top of this delicious pie. To mine, I added chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and mini Reese’s cups. I left some of the mini cups whole and cut others in half to create a really beautiful topping. Finally, I added the same chocolate drizzle that I love adding to cocktails like my Chocolate Martini!
Tips and Tricks
- Plan ahead. This chocolate peanut butter pie needs to spend at least eight hours in the refrigerator, so make it the day before you plan to serve or eat it.
- Have your cream cheese at room temperature. This will allow it to be incorporated into the other ingredients and make a silky, smooth filling.
- Swap the crust. Even though the Oreo crust comes together with just two ingredients, you can also use a store-bought crust or even a graham cracker crust.
- Freeze the pie for easy cutting. To slice clean even slices of pie, throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting into it.
Storing Peanut Butter Pie
Keep this pie in the refrigerator until you plan to serve it and for any leftovers. It should be eaten within three days of making it.
This easy peanut butter pie can be frozen if you want to make it more than three days in advance. Simply prepare the pie through the step of adding the filling to the crust. Cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to three months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator and top with whipped cream and toppings.
Peanut Butter Pie
- 24 Oreos
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (56.5 grams) melted
Peanut Butter Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese (227 grams) room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (270 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (85.13 grams)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (177.44 ml)
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream (236.6 ml)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (21.3 grams)
- Crush the Oreos in a blender or food processor. Combine the Oreo crumbs with the melted butter. Press into a 9 inch, deep pie pan and put in the refrigerator while you are making the peanut butter filling.24 Oreos, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Peanut Butter Filling
- Blend together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla until smooth.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup creamy peanut butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Using a hand mixer, blend together the powdered sugar and the heavy cream until it is fluffy with a similar texture to shaving cream.3/4 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Fold the heavy cream mixture into the peanut butter mixture until fully combined.
- Pour the peanut butter filling into the chilled Oreo crust. Smooth out the top, and then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Place a metal bowl and the metal mixers from a handheld mixer in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Whip the powdered sugar and heavy cream together until soft peaks form. Top the chilled pie with the whipped cream.3/4 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Top the pie with Reese's mini cups, peanut butter chips, milk chocolate chips, and chocolate drizzle. Cut and serve.