These Quick Pickled Red Onions only take 5 minutes to make! They are delicious, simple, and the perfect compliment to so many different recipes!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Can I tell you guys that I kind of love that my first post of 2019 are these quick pickled red onions?! They are so . . . LISA! If you have been following my blog for way too long, you know that I define comfort food in the weirdest ways. I have been known to drink Bloody Mary Mix (yup, sans vodka) when I’m stressed and looking for a yummy treat. I would probably pick snacking on olives over eating chocolate. Which could explain my need to create all the olive appetizers like this Olive Cheeseball and this Olive Pizza Appetizer. And in college, it wasn’t unusual for me to unwind with a bowl full of fresh tomatoes covered in balsamic dressing. #dontjudgeme
I know, I’m super weird. But that pickled vinegar taste is so amazing to me. And so I HAD to make you some quick pickled red onions so we can all throw them on anything whenever the mood strikes us. They are good on so many different things! From sandwiches to tacos to pizza, these quick pickled red onions go on EVERYTHING!
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE QUICK PICKLED RED ONIONS?
You just need a few simple ingredients for this recipe!
- 1 medium red onion
- warm water
- vinegar (more on that in a moment)
- garlic cloves (optional)
What type of vinegar should I use to make Pickled Red Onions?
This is kind of up for debate. Lots of recipes call for apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar, suggesting that white vinegar will result in too harsh of a taste. Given my love for the taste of vinegar (see above), I went with white vinegar and loved it. I would say that if you like pickles you will be fine with the white vinegar.
HOW TO PICKLE RED ONIONS
This recipe is very simple to make and takes just a few minutes to throw together.
- Slice a medium sized onion and pack it into a mason jar. (Be sure to use a glass jar as metal will react with the vinegar and affect the taste of the final product.) Add in the sliced garlic.
- Whisk together the warm water, vinegar, salt, and sugar until the salt and sugar fully dissolve.
- Pour the liquid over the red onions. Cover and let sit for at least a half hour.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to four weeks. (They will be best within the first week.)
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO QUICK PICKLED RED ONIONS?
There are so many different things you could throw in with your quick pickled red onions to add different flavors. I added some fresh sliced garlic and loved the flavor. Here are some other ideas:
- red pepper flakes
- bay leaf
- fresh oregano
- fresh thyme
- fresh rosemary
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- Pack the sliced onion into a mason jar with the sliced garlic.
- Whisk together the hot water, vinegar, salt and sugar until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Cover the onions in the water and vinegar mixture. Cover the jar and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Other homemade condiments you will love