Salmon Salad is an easy delicious meal that makes for a healthy sandwich. Serve it in lettuce cups for a great low carb lunch!
If you are looking for more great take to work or school lunches this fall, let me introduce you to a new favorite. This easy Salmon Salad recipe is incredibly easy to make, and so delicious. I love making this and eating it in lettuce cups for a really light lunch recipe that is filling and satisfying.
How to Make Salmon Salad
- Combine the ingredients in the bowl. In a large bowl combine the salmon, red onion, and celery.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh dill, and salt. Taste and add more seasonings to taste.
- Mix the dressing into the other ingredients.
Canned Salmon Salad
Canned salmon is a really affordable and easy way to make this recipe. It does, however, often still have small pieces of bone in it. I like to put it into a bowl and use a fork to sort it and take out any bone pieces I find. This takes a few minutes tops, and is worth the tiny bit of extra effort.
Fresh Dill vs. Dry Dill
If you are making this dish in the winter months, use dry dill instead of fresh dill. You will need a 1 teaspoon instead of a 1/2 tablespoon.
Salmon Salad Sandwich
As mentioned above, I love eating this in lettuce cups, but this works great as a salmon salad sandwich too! This recipe makes about two cups, which is perfect for four sandwiches. If you make this recipe Monday morning, it should be good for work lunches through Thursday.
Swaps and Substitutions
One of the things I really love about recipes like this is how easy they are to switch up.
- Make it low carb! I love serving this in lettuce cups. The crunch of the romain rib works perfectly with this and I don’t even miss the bread.
- Take out the celery and put in peas instead. If you don’t like celery, take them out and put in 1/2 a cup of frozen peas instead. No need to even thaw them first.
- Make it a little lighter and use Greek yogurt. Swap 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt.
Can I use leftover cooked salmon?
Absolutely! If you have fresh salmon on hand after making our Baked Salmon in Foil, you can use it for this great recipe. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of flaked salmon to make this.
How much does this make?
This recipe makes 2 cups. This works out to about four sandwiches depending on how big you make them.
How long does this recipe last?
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You will need to give it a good mix before serving it. As always, use your best judgement when it comes to leftovers.
Other Great Lunch Recipes
- Crab Salad is perfect if you are craving seafood. So easy to make and delicious.
- Chicken Wraps are amazing for lunch or a fast dinner recipe.
- Chicken Salad is the perfect stand by for lunch recipes.
- This Egg Salad recipe is the absolute best and I have great tips for hard boiling eggs!
If you make this Salmon Salad recipe or any of my other recipes leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- In a large bowl, combine the salmon, red onion, and celery.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, fresh dill, and salt. Taste and add pepper to taste.
- Stir the dressing into the main ingredients and serve. This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days in an air tight container.