Everything Bagel Seasoning is a simple combination of seasonings used on everything bagels. It’s absolutely delicious and fast to make at home. Don’t wait for your next bagel for this delicious flavor combo!
I have been obsessed with Everything Bagels for as long as I can remember. Back when I was a teenager and had a metabolism to envy, my favorite “snack” was an everything bagel with cream cheese and avocado on it.
With Everything Bagel Seasoning, it is possible to get that great taste without the calorie bomb that comes from that “snack.” I love adding this to so many things, but especially my scrambled eggs in the morning.
This recipe was made off of Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, and I think it is pretty spot on to the store bought version. I love being able to make my own seasoning mixes at home.
What is in Everything Bagel Seasoning
For the full recipe with all of the measurements please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Sesame Seeds are the first ingredient. You can find these in bulk for a reasonable price. You don’t need to buy the roasted kind, uncooked will work great here.
- Dried Minced Garlic can be found with spices and seasonings in the grocery store.
- Dried Minced Onion is something we always have on hand and use in our French Dip recipe.
- Kosher Salt is an important ingredient, and it is not the same as table salt. If you only have table salt, make sure to cut back the amount used and add more to taste.
- Black Sesame Seeds add such a great color in this recipe.
- Poppyseeds are the perfect addition to Everything Bagel Seasoning.
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Whisk together sesame seeds, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, kosher salt, black sesame seeds, and poppyseeds.
- Store in an airtight container for up to six months.
Why Make Your Own Seasoning Mix
I get asked a lot why you would make your own mix when you can just buy a bottle for less. There are a few good reasons!
- The main reason I like giving people seasoning mixes like this one is so that they can adjust them to fit their own dietary needs. For example, I’ve had readers tell me that they can finally using Everything Bagel Seasoning now because they can remove the poppy seeds they are allergic to.
- Another reason I like homemade seasoning mixes is you can control the sodium. While this actually fits into the reason above, I think it deserves its own bullet point. So many store bought mixes are loaded with salt. If you are on a low sodium diet this is for you! Cut out all the salt and only add in what you know your diet can handle.
- Many of my readers are overseas and can’t find seasoning mixes, like this, that are called for in recipes. This gives them a great solution.
- Finally, if you already have all of these seasonings on hand, this is far cheaper to make.
How to Use Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
There are so many great ways to use this recipe. These Everything Bagel Deviled Eggs are the perfect spin on traditional deviled eggs!
- This would be great mixed into a cream cheese and sour cream dip that you serve with bagel chips.
- I love slicing up fresh cucumbers and sprinkling a little on top.
- It’s amazing on freshly popped popcorn.
- It is the only thing I want to top my scrambled eggs with.
- Leave out the dill pickles and add a little of it to the cream cheese before making my Ham and Cheese Roll Ups.
- It would be great mixed with butter on top of sliders!
- I have had readers use this as the seasoning on my Roasted Chickpeas.
Everything Bagel Deviled Eggs
You can store this in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to six months.
These are often found in the international food aisle of the grocery store. They also can be found online.
Yes, this is true, if your employer does random testing, the poppyseeds in this recipe can make you come up positive. However, they will clear your system within 48 hours.
This recipe makes 31.5 teaspoons, 10.5 tablespoons, and almost 2/3 a cup.
Other Seasoning Mixes
As mentioned above, I love making my own seasoning mixes for a whole variety of reasons. Here are some of my favorites that we use regularly:
If you make this Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt (if you only have table salt, start with half the amount called for)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container and use within 6 months of mixing. Check out my suggestions for how to use it here: How to Use Everything Bagel Seasoning.
I do love getting new recipes and trying them
Lisa Longley says
I’m glad to hear it!
Would love Italian season recipe. Would not come up for me to receive recipe.
Lisa Longley says
I’m so sorry Sheila. When I click on the link for Italian Seasoning, it comes up for me.