Pickled Eggs are sure to become your new favorite snack! Easy to make and perfect for keeping in the refrigerator for a quick grab and go energy boost!
I’m slowly making my way through pickling all the things. Quick pickling recipes are so easy, and they make for the best condiments. (You can see more recipes below the recipe card at the bottom of this post.)
These Pickled Eggs though are perfect for snacking on. This recipe keeps in the refrigerator for three months, making this an ideal way to use up those Easter eggs.
How to Make Pickle Eggs
- Hard Boil Eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, remove from the heat and cover. Let sit for 12 minutes and then transfer to ice cold water for 5 minutes. (Or make in the Instant Pot.)
- Peel Eggs: Peel the hard boiled eggs. The easiest eggs to peel, I’ve found, are the ones that are hard boiled in the Instant Pot.
- Create Brine Mixture: Bring water and vinegar to a boil in a sauce pan. Stir in salt and sugar.
- Combine Everything: Add the eggs to a mason jar and fill with brining liquid (you may not need to use all of it). Then add in the seasonings. You can switch these out with some of the alternatives listed below.
For this recipe, I picked out the flavor combination that I would enjoy most. It turned out delicious, but you can certainly add other things. I have some variations listed below.
- sliced white onion
- whole garlic cloves
- fresh dill
- bay leaves
Here are some other ingredients you could swap in. This is a great recipe to experiment with.
- Red Onions: These will give your eggs a fun red hue.
- Red Pepper Flakes: If you want to add a little spice to the recipe, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon would be wonderful.
- Mustard Seeds
- Ginger: Whole ginger that has been sliced thin, would be amazing. Pickled ginger is one of my favorites.
When are pickled eggs ready to eat?
These are best after pickling in the refrigerator for one week.
Can pickled eggs be canned?
No. This recipe was not written for canning and these need to be stored in the refrigerator.
How long do pickled eggs last?
These can last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 months. As always use your best discretion. If this recipe smells off, they should be discarded.
Are pickled eggs healthy?
Pickled eggs are the combination of eggs, vinegar, and a little sugar and salt with some seasonings. Given the high protein content of eggs, these are a great healthy snack in moderation.
If you make this pickled egg recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 8 large eggs hard boiled
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 small yellow onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or several sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- To hard boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover them compltely. Bring to a roaring boil. Turn off heat, and cover pan. Let sit for 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl filled with ice water for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs.
- Bring the water and vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the sugar and salt until it has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Fill a 1 quart mason jar with the eggs, onion, garlic, dill, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. Top with the vinegar mixture. Seal and refrigerate for at least 1 week. Enjoy within 3 to 4 months for best quality. Please note that this recipe is inteded for refrigeration only and not for canning.