This frozen Pina Colada recipe is THE BEST! It is only three ingredients and with no ice, it won’t get watered down. You’ll want to make these Piña Coladas all the time!
The easiest way to feel like you are on a beach vacation in your own kitchen is to make this amazing Pina Colada. This creamy, tropical cocktail could not be any easier to mix up. The only downside of this recipe is the chance that you will get, “If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain…” stuck in your head.
Holy moly! These are the BEST Pina Coladas I’ve ever tasted. Made them for my husband and friends and they all said the same thing. And easy to make! GREAT RECIPE!!
Pina Colada Ingredients
This recipe only calls for three ingredients! And because it’s made with frozen fruit rather than ice it never gets watered down. Your Pina Colada ingredients are:
- Frozen Pineapple. A key to making the drink frozen and smooth, using frozen pineapple also cuts down on prep time and can be stored in your freezer for whenever your heart desires a Pina Colada.
- Sweetened coconut milk. We use Coco Lopez. It is easy to find in the international food aisle and stores well in the pantry in cans. Make sure to get sweetened coconut milk and not straight coconut milk.
- White rum. See more on the best rum for Pina Coladas below.
For the full list of measurements, find the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to Make a Pina Colada
This homemade pina colada is so much better than the mix and just as easy. This recipe can be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd. Refer to the recipe card for measurements.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. You can see the blender we use below. It is perfect for blending up frozen ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. You want to ensure that there are no chunks of pineapple left.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with a pineapple wedge. Enjoy, and pretend you are on a tropical island.
Cream of Coconut
For this cocktail, I liked to use Coco Lopez. It is a Cream of Coconut, which is coconut milk that is sweetened. You do not want to use coconut milk in place of this as your pina colada won’t be as sweet as you want it to be.
Best Rum for Pina Coladas
Rum is a necessary part of the ingredient trifecta of this simple recipe, and choosing the correct kind of rum makes a difference. Use any white or light rum that you enjoy the flavor of. You will want to avoid dark rum or spiced rum.
If you are really trying to channel tropical vibes and want a stronger coconut flavor in this frozen Pina Colada recipe, try a coconut rum like Malibu!
Virgin Pina Colada
If you are looking to make a virgin Pina Colada, simply skip the rum and blend the frozen pineapple and coconut milk together until smooth. If it is too thick, add a little pineapple juice to thin it out.
Yes! This great cocktail is totally vegan. The creaminess comes from coconut milk which doesn’t not have dairy in it.
Yes! They are dairy free.
Yes! Leave out the rum, and follow the directions. If it needs to be thinned out, add a little pineapple juice.
Traditionally, it is made with rum, but you can swap in vodka.
Other Rum Cocktails
If you are a rum drinker (or are hosting a crowd of rum lovers), try out some of these other rum cocktail options:
I love hearing from you! If you make these Pina Coladas or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
- 3 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut milk like Coco Lopez (read more here)
- 3/4 cup white rum
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.