This Strawberry Salad is easy to throw together but packed with tons of amazing flavor! It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner but delicious enough to serve company!
Do you remember the other day when I shared my Strawberry Salad Dressing with you? Well this salad is the perfect companion for that amazing salad dressing. The saltiness of the bacon and the crisp spinach are the perfect pairing with that sweet and delicious poppyseed dressing.
How to Make Strawberry Salad
- Cook the bacon. I love dicing my bacon before cooking it and then removing it from the frying pan with a slotted spoon. Though you could absolutely cook it whole if that is easier for you.
- Toss the salad ingredients. In a large bowl combine the spinach, oranges, strawberry slices, bacon, and red onions.
- Serve with the salad dressing. My preference is to allow others to dress their own salad, but you can add just a small amount before serving as well.
If you skip dressing this salad, the salad itself will keep in the refrigerator for two to three days.
Strawberry Spinach Salad Dressing
The salad dressing for this recipe comes together really simply in the food processor. You can see all the details of making that recipe and my recommendations in my Strawberry Salad Dressing post.
Substitutions and Variations
If you aren’t a big fan of one or more of these ingredients here are a few suggestions for swapping.
- Use pineapple instead of the mandarin oranges.
- Replace the red onions with thinly sliced green onions.
- Instead of using bacon, try walnuts. You could even use candied walnuts in this recipe.
- Try adding some goat cheese here, it would be delicious.
What to Serve Strawberry Salad With
This recipe would be amazing as the side to so many recipes. Here are some summer classics I think you will love it with.
- 1/2 pound of bacon diced, cooked, and drained
- 5 ounces spinach
- 4 oz or 1/4 cup mandarin oranges (see note)
- 1/4 small red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing to taste
Strawberry Salad Dressing
- 2 cups fresh strawberries cut in half
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
To Make Dressing
- Combine the strwaberries, orange juice, red onion, honey, and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt or honey to taste.
- Slowly blend in the olive oil. Then transfer the dressing to a storange container and add the poppyseeds. Shake to combine.
- Cut the bacon and then cook it until crisp in a heavy bottomed skillet. Remove it with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate.
To Make the Salad
- Toss bacon with the oranges, strawberries, onions, and bacon.
- Serve with the salad dressing.