Wedge Salad makes the perfect side dish for any main meal. With my delicious Blue Cheese Dressing, this incredibly simple salad recipe will be a hit!
There is something about Wedge Salad that makes me think of the 1950s and Wisconsin Super Clubs. It is such a simple but classic side dish. Though, like with most things, it is a classic for a reason. It comes together with just a handful of easy ingredients, but they combine in the most perfect way to create a side salad that you can fall in love with each time you make it.
What is a Wedge Salad
Served on a “wedge” of iceberg lettuce, crispy bacon, juicy cherry tomatoes, chives, and creamy blue cheese dressing top this side salad that is simple to make and so delicious. It is a common steakhouse menu item but is easy to make at home!
The origins of the Wedge Salad date back to the late 1800s when companies worked diligently breeding different types of lettuce to create iceberg lettuce. It was shortly after that in 1916 that Wedge Salad first appeared in cookbooks.
Cutting Lettuce for Wedge Salad
To cut lettuce for a wedge salad, start with a clean head of iceberg lettuce. Remove the outer leaves and rinse the head to remove any dirt and debris. Pat dry with a paper towel. Use a sharp knife to cut the head of lettuce in half from the top to the stem. Then cut each half in half again to total four pieces or four quarters of lettuce. One head of lettuce makes four wedge salads.
How to Make a Wedge Salad
Here is a brief overview of how this simple blue cheese wedge salad comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the blue cheese dressing. This can be made up to three days in advance. See the steps below for making homemade blue cheese dressing.
- Cut the head of lettuce. Cut the clean lettuce into fourths and put each wedge on its own plate.
- Add the dressing. Spoon some blue cheese dressing on top of each wedge.
- Add the toppings. Top with diced bacon, tomato halves, and chives. Enjoy!
Best Blue Cheese Dressing
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Making salad dressings at home is super easy and delicious. With simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, this homemade blue cheese dressing is so much better than the store-bought stuff. It is the perfect creamy dressing for Chicken Wings and this iceberg wedge salad recipe! Here is how it comes together. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full list of ingredients and measurements.
- Make the base. Mix together the milk, lemon juice, and garlic in a small measuring cup.
- Mash the blue cheese. Pour the milk mixture into a bowl with the blue cheese. Use a fork to gently mash the milk mixture into the blue cheese. You want the consistency to be like cottage cheese. If it seems too thick, add a little more milk.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix in the sour cream, mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust. Taste the dressing and add more salt or pepper as needed.
Blue cheese dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. I recommend storing it by itself in a jar or airtight container.
If you want to cook your bacon in a skillet, I find it easiest to dice it before cooking. Cook just until crisp, then remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.
Skip the grease splatter and bacon cooking in fat by making it in the air fryer. This is my favorite way to make it! It cooks evenly and comes out perfectly every time. If you make it this way, I recommend cooking it whole and then dicing it before adding it to the salads.
Air Fryer Bacon
The easiest way to eat this yummy salad is with a knife and fork, cutting it into bite-sized pieces.
While you could make the bacon and the salad dressing ahead of time, I would not recommend making the whole salad before you are ready to serve and eat it.
If you make this iceberg wedge salad recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into fourths
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes 142 grams (cut in half)
- 1/2 pound bacon 226.8 grams (diced and cooked to crisp)
- 2 tablespoons chives 4 grams (diced)
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/4 cup milk plus more as needed to thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 3 ounces blue cheese 3/4 cup (177.44 ml)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (56.75 grams)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a wedge of lettuce on each of your 4 plates. Top with 1/4 cup dressing.1 head iceberg lettuce
- Top each wedge with a 1/4 cup of halved tomatoes, about 2 1/2 tablespoons of bacon, and 1/2 tablespoon of chives.1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/2 pound bacon, 2 tablespoons chives
- Serve the salads and enjoy!
Blue Cheese Dressing
- In a small measuring cup, combine the milk, lemon juice, and garlic. Pour over the blue cheese in a small bowl.1/4 cup milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 small garlic clove
- With the back of a fork mash up the blue cheese, milk, lemon juice, and garlic. The consistency will be a bit lumpy, but the goal is the minimize large chunks of cheese in the salad dressing. You are looking for a consistency similar to cottage cheese.3 ounces blue cheese
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Add more salt and pepper to taste.1/4 cup sour cream, 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt