A Bloody Mary is the perfect addition to any brunch. Made with easy ingredients, you will love this classic cocktail.
Brunch is one of my very favorite events to create recipes for. There is something so relaxing about a leisurely weekend breakfast that doesn’t happen until 10 am. For some reason when you are eating breakfast at that time of the day suddenly sugar and alcohol don’t just become acceptable they become recommended.
If you are hosting a brunch, you need to grab this great recipe for Bloody Marys. It is simple to make at home, you can whip up a whole big batch and make a great Bloody Mary bar.
Bloody Mary Ingredients
Simple ingredients are part of what makes this the best Bloody Mary recipe. They combine to provide plenty of flavor and a kick that you know and love in your Bloody Mary drink.
- Tomato juice: The base of the cocktail. You could replace it with clamato juice to make a Bloody Caesar.
- Lemon juice: Juice from fresh lemons is always preferred when it comes to cocktails. If you keep bottled lemon juice on hand, that will work too.
- Vodka: I share my recommendations below.
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds a savory and salty flavor profile.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
- Hot sauce: I recommend starting with the amount in the recipe card and adding a teaspoon more at a time until it reaches your desired spiciness.
How to Make A Bloody Mary
Here is a brief overview of how to make this great cocktail. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Prepare your glass. Fill your glass with ice. I share the glasses you see in the photos below.
- Combine ingredients. Add all of your ingredients to a metal cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well to combine.
- Strain into the glass. Strain the cold mixture into your glass of ice. Garnish and enjoy.
The Best Bloody Mary Mix
Homemade Bloody Mary mix is the key to making this brunch staple. Store-bought mixes can be filled with extra sweeteners and preservatives. Make your own mix in just a few minutes with simple ingredients! Tangy with a little kick, this combination of flavors can be customized to fit your preferences and be perfect every time.
In this Bloody Mary recipe, we make enough mix for one cocktail. If you would prefer to make a pitcher of Bloody Mary mix, use my recipe below.
Best Vodka For Bloody Marys
When choosing a vodka for any cocktail, I always recommend using one that you enjoy the flavor of. Because the Bloody Mary mix provides a lot of flavor in this recipe, the flavor of the vodka itself isn’t as prominent therefore there is no need to use a top-shelf vodka. Tito’s is my recommendation.
Make a Pitcher of Bloody Marys!
If you are making Bloody Marys for a group, make a pitcher! Simply combine all of the ingredients except the vodka in a large pitcher and refrigerate. Add the vodka just before serving, or set the bottle beside the pitcher for each guest to add their own. The measurements on the recipe card are enough for one drink. To make a pitcher of six drinks, use the following measurements:
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups vodka
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
When it comes to garnishes for a Bloody Mary, the sky is the limit. While the cocktail is delicious without any extra flair, here are a few ideas of what to add:
- Pickle spear
- Lime wedge
- Cheese cubes
- Slice of cooked bacon
- Use Jalapeno Infused Vodka in place of plain vodka for a spicier Bloody Mary.
- Replace the vodka with tequila to make a Bloody Maria.
- To make a virgin Bloody Mary, leave out the vodka.
- Add a splash of pickle juice or olive brine.
If you try this Bloody Mary recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a pint glass 3/4 of the way with ice cubes.
- In a metal shaker filled with ice, combine all of the ingredients. Shake until you feel the shaker go cold.
- Strain the Bloody Mary into the prepared glass. Garnish with pickles, celery, and olives.