My White Pizza recipe is the perfect simple pizza that everyone is bound to fall in love with. It starts with my creamy white pizza sauce and is absolutely delicious!
Pizza night is a favorite in our house, and I love mixing it with different flavors. This White Pizza is an amazing alternative to your traditional pepperoni. It starts with my delicious creamy white pizza sauce, and is topped with cheeses. This pizza is a simple but delicious dinner. And if you love pizza but can’t do red sauce, this is the perfect alternative.
What is White Pizza?
Instead of using a tomato-based pizza sauce or fresh tomatoes, white pizza or pizza bianca is made with a creamy white garlic pizza sauce and topped with lots of white cheese. It can be enjoyed just like this or with toppings!
How to Make White Pizza
Here is a brief overview of how this white pizza recipe comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Cook the garlic. Sauté the garlic in butter until just soft. Then whisk in the flour.
- Create a roux for the sauce. Very slowly add the milk and heavy cream, stirring to combine. Allow to simmer and then add grated parmesan cheese, continue stirring until it melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the pizza together. Pour the sauce over the rolled-out pizza crust. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Using a Pizza Stone
I love making pizzas on a pizza stone, especially this white sauce pizza. The crust comes out perfectly crisp! If you also like making pizza on a pizza stone, I recommend preheating the stone in the oven while your oven preheats. Then roll out your dough on the counter and gently, fold the dough over your rolling pin and use that to transfer it onto the hot stone. Then build your pizza there.
White Sauce For Pizza
The star of this homemade pizza recipe is the creamy white pizza sauce. White pizza sauce is made by sautéing garlic and then creating a roux, the combination of fat and flour which makes the sauce extra creamy and allows it to hold up in the oven.
Two things are important with any roux. First, make sure to really whisk the flour into the butter. It will begin to cook a little, which gets rid of the flour taste. Second, add the liquids (both the milk and the heavy cream) very slowly so they have time to absorb into the roux and distribute evenly. This process only takes a minute or two, but is important to not rush.
Homemade Pizza Dough
I recommend starting this pizza recipe with my homemade pizza dough. It makes enough for two pizzas and is simple to make with my detailed instructions and step-by-step photos.
Grating Cheese From a Block
Anytime a recipe calls for shredded cheese and you want it to melt well, I recommend grating it yourself from a block. Pre-shredded cheese is covered in preservatives which prevent it from clumping together in the bag. Grating it from a block only takes a few minutes and adds a creamy and flavorful layer to this pizza.
Other Topping Options
This pizza with white sauce and cheese is delicious as is, but here are some ideas for other toppings to add.
- Add meat and vegetables. Italian sausage, green olives, mushrooms, and artichokes create a hearty and flavorful homemade pizza.
- Spinach Artichoke Pizza: Add some spinach to the white sauce and top with diced artichokes in this combination of pizza and spinach artichoke dip.
If you make this white pizza recipe or any of my other recipes, let me know what you think by leaving a comment!
White Pizza Recipe
White Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (14.13 grams)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (3.75 grams)
- 3/4 cup whole milk (177.44 ml)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (59.15 ml)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated will work best
- salt and pepper to taste
- pizza dough
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (226 grams) shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (25 grams) shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are baking on a pizza stone, preheat the stone with the oven.
White Pizza Sauce
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet.1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Add in the garlic and sauté until just soft. Then whisk in the flour.3 garlic cloves, 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Turn the heat to medium-low and very slowly (starting with just a tablespoon or 2 at a time), whisk in the whole milk and then the heavy cream. The more you add, the more quickly you can add it.3/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Bring to a simmer and stir in 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Continue stirring until it melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I used about 3/4 kosher salt and 1/8 freshly ground black pepper).1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Pour the sauce over the rolled-out pizza crust. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, pizza dough, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.